Chapter 10

Kia Brown

TALKING to a deranged killer was the last thing Kia wanted to do but here she was, sitting in her cold and lonely house, listening to a man who threatened to kill her if she were to do otherwise. For the first time in a long time, she was genuinely scared. She knew Dylan had warned her about this trouble before it even happened but as always, she was so stubborn and headstrong. She never wanted to listen to him and that was one thing Kia could say that she regretted at that moment.

"Now, as I was saying before, you have been researching me and trying to find out who I really am. I noticed that you really value your job as a lawyer, surprisingly. I have never even encountered a detective to look into me as hard as you have. But, My Darling, it will stop. You will stop looking into me. You will stop looking into Dylan's case because if you don't, I will start killing every single one of your loved ones. I will make your mother and brother bleed. Oh, and don't worry about your father. He works for me and unlike you, he knows his place," Giovanni seethed. Kia's heart dropped to the floor.

She knew her father was involved in mafia activity but she didn't think it had anything to do with Giovanni. At this point, Kia was more sad than surprised. At least she filed a report against him before he could do any more damage to her family than he had already done. Giovanni thought that he could use her father against her. But at this particular moment in her life, she could care less about her father. He was ruined and there was nothing that she could do for him anymore. She had to accept that.

"And don't forget about Dylan either. I know how much you care for him. I've already kidnapped him, and if you disobey my orders, I might just kill him," he threatened, and Kia felt her face warming up from the anger that was coursing in her veins. What had he done to Dylan? Did he kidnap Dylan because of her? She could never forgive herself.

"What did you do to him? I swear, if you did anything to hurt him, I will-"

"You will what? Don't forget, I hold the upper hand here," he grabbed her chin harshly and continued. "I could kill him and your family. The stupid policemen in this town would just think it was another suicide or a very unfortunate accident. I have gotten away with everything and no one has caught on but you. So, you will do what I want. I won't kill your family if you do as I say. And Dylan's life all depends on how you act. One mistake and I promise that I will kill him. Or maybe I will kill him now. He is a wanted criminal after all. Wouldn't I be doing the world a favor?"

A tear fell from Kia's eye but she quickly wiped it away from her chin. She could not be weak or show this man any emotions. He would just prey on that. "Listen, I understand you're upset. I will stop investigating you, I promise. Just leave me, my family, and Dylan alone. Now that you got what you wanted, can you just leave?"

"If I have to come back here again, I will kill you and everyone you love. It's not a threat, it's a promise, Darling," Giovanni said before exiting her house. Once he closed the door, she let out a breath that she did not realize she was holding in.

She proceeded to call Gloria and tell her to stop sending her files. She had to figure out how Giovanni figured out that she was investigating him. Was he stalking her or worse, was he torturing Dylan to get information about her?

Speaking of Dylan, she had to find him as soon as possible. Giovanni had said that he kidnapped Dylan but Kia doubted that he had. What if he just said that to scare her but something tells her he wasn't the type to do something like that. He wasn't an amateur, he was an experienced killer. Because of this, she had to devote her time to finding Dylan now.

Kia sighed, running her hands down the sides of her face. Stupid girl, look what you've gotten yourself into.

If she could take all of this back, she would. She would decide to have never met Dylan and she would have been more cautious about her actions regarding Dylan's case.