sucker

"Are you almost done yet?" Harry whines as he follows closely behind me, exaggerating his stomping like a little child to express how tired and bored he is. I stop right in my tracks and pull a jacket off the racks dramatically slow just to annoy him even further. I slowly look up at him to gauge his reaction but instead of the expected laugh, he keeps his irritated expression and I sigh in defeat.

"Fine. We can go," I huff out and place the hanger back on the rack. He celebrates with a little jump on his feet as his face brightens in excitement. "You're such a child. We've only been in here for like ten minutes." I roll my eyes and make my way out of the store.

"I would've lasted longer if they had the designated boyfriend waiting area!" he says behind me and I let out a laugh. I dig my hands into the pockets of my sweatpants and fast walk towards the exit of the mall.

"Excuse me ma'am! Your skin looks pretty dry. Would you be interested in-"

"No, thank you," I cut off the persistent salesman with a toothless smile and continue to walk past him. Once Harry and I reach out of earshot I groan. "God, I hate those kiosk sales people. They really pull you in and sucker you into buying overly expensive products that you could probably get for much cheaper at Marshall's or something," I comment and turn around to face Harry only to realize that I've been talking to myself because Harry isn't anywhere to be found.

I'm standing confused for a second on where he could've run off to until I spot him all the way back at the kiosk with that same salesman who's occupied rubbing the hand of a very intrigued looking Harry.

"Oh.... my god," I whisper to myself and sigh. I slump back to where they are and the salesman looks up to me and his face brightens with a fake ass smile.

"You must be the girlfriend!" he exclaims and looks back down to continue rubbing Harry's hand which from up close looks like an exfoliant. "Let me tell you something, sweetie- what's your name?"

"Y/N." I smile.

"Let me tell you something, Y/N, about your boyfriend here. He's handsome but... honey, his skin is so dry! Wouldn't it feel nice to have soft and moisturized hands to hold?"

Oh, he's good.

I look up at Harry who has the sort of look that's pleading for me to help him get out of this situation. But he got suckered in and he needs to learn how to say no anyways.

"It would, wouldn't it?" I respond back with an entertaining tone. Then I flash Harry a smirk as the man moves Harry to wash his hand in a sink nearby. Then he pulls out a jar of moisturizer to start massaging at Harry's hand and brings it up for me to feel. "Ooh, it's so soft," I praise.

"Right? I've already told him all this but this exfoliator is all natural with salt from the Himalayas, salt is great for exfoliating and getting rid of those dead skin cells! It has some argon and coconut oil, lavender, some raw sugar. It also works for any skin type! Let me tell you what," he whispers that last part and gestures for the both of us to follow him to the other side of the stand. As Harry and I follow him, I feel Harry nudge me in the side of my body with his elbow and then again he kicks at my foot with his to get my attention. I narrow my eyes in on him to get him to stop touching me then turn my attention back to the salesman who is busy reaching through his cabinets.

"Here's what I'll do just for you because you guys seem like a lovely couple!" The guy waves his hand for us to move closer to him and we do. He pulls out a small box of the exfoliator and sets it on the counter along with two other boxes and a basket full of smaller items. "If you buy one now, I'll give you another one FOR FREE. And on top of that, I'll also give you a free moisturizer and several bars of hand soaps and some perfume as well. Let me tell you something, I own this store and keep this between you and me, I'm giving you an amazing offer! This is a two thousand dollar value for only five hundred if you buy the exfoliator today."

"Really?" Harry asks with genuine curiosity and even some ignorant surprise as his eyes scan over all of the items laid out on the counter.

And just like that, Harry has reached the lowest point of the hole he's been pulled into.

"Yes, sir! And let me tell you, Harry, you have a beautiful girl right here. She deserves the best, even the little things! Like soft hands! And it doesn't even have to be for just you. The two of you can share these products! Your hands feel soft don't they?" He holds Harry's hands up and he rubs at them again. Harry nods and brings his hands up for me to feel as well and I take them in mine, squeezing it tightly to silently tell him that he's being played for his money.

I decide to sit on the employee's stool and watch in intrigue as the salesman starts to bag up all of the items Harry still hasn't agreed on buying yet. He brings Harry around the kiosk again to explain everything for the umpteenth time and I find myself resting my chin on my hand, the situation being switched as now I'm the one waiting for Harry to be done shopping so that we could go home.

The guy continues to explain the science behind all this skincare crap and I can already tell by Harry's eyes that he's contemplating the dude's "once in a lifetime," "amazing," "just for you" discount he's offering.

Then I decide to wander off and end up window shopping at a Victoria's Secret store close by. A few moments later I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around to find Harry with both of his hands holding bags of overpriced lotion.

I look down at the bags then up to a scared looking Harry and start laughing my lungs out. "Holy crap!" I giggle uncontrollably.

"You were supposed to help me!" he whines and I wrap my arm around his, leaning into his shoulder as we start to walk out of the mall.

"I've already told you, Harry! You're supposed to pretend call on your phone whenever you pass by those kiosks! They're very persistent and will literally follow you to your car with fake compliments until you give in," I laugh again and he rolls his eyes.

"Excuse me sir." A lady walks up to us with a stack of cards in one hand and a hair straightener in the other. "Would you like to try-"

"No," Harry snaps with an irritated tone and I try to suppress my laughter by burying my face into his shoulder.

★☆★☆★☆★☆

inspired by today when i went shopping with my auntie at a mall and she got suckered into buying $250 worth of hair products

those salesmen really are something else...

but they've gotta hustle somehow, ammiright?