Chapter 9

A harsh knock on the door makes Eloise get up from the bed where she is lying with Max as they watch a movie.

 "Are you expecting someone?" she asks Max as she makes her way to the door.

"No, are you?" he replies, but Eloise shakes her head before opening the door. To their surprise, Steve is on the other side, looking worried. 

"Miss Eloise, your parents saw you and Max together, they're furious," Steve says without greeting them.

"How did they see so quickly? They never watch TV," Eloise sighs as she lets Steve in.

"Someone must've told them. They want you to come home immediately."

"Tell them I'll be home tomorrow, like I planned," Eloise says, making Max frown.

"Baby, maybe it's best if you go now. If you wait, they'll only be angrier," he says, but Eloise shakes her head. 

"I'm going tomorrow. They don't control me. I want to stay here and enjoy my evening with my boyfriend. Whatever they have to say to me can wait until tomorrow."

"If you're sure?" Steve says, knowing there's no point in arguing anymore.

"Positive. We'll be home tomorrow for lunch."

"We?" Max asks confused.

"Yeah of course, you're coming with me," Eloise says as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"I don't know if that's such a good idea," Max says hesitantly.

"Why not? Whatever they have to say will probably be about us, so it's only fair that you're there as well."

"If you say so," Max says, still unsure about it, but Eloise smiles. Despite being nervous for the meeting with her parents tomorrow, she knows things will work out. One way or another.

- - - - - -

Max looks around nervously as he makes his way towards the dining room with Eloise, ready to meet her parents who would be waiting for them in there. They'd have a nice lunch together. Well, the food would be nice, the rest of it remained to be seen.

Eloise softly squeezes Max's hand, making him look at her. Just like Max, Eloise was feeling nervous as well. Not necessarily because this was the first time Max was meeting her parents. Or any boy for that matter. More because it might be the last time Max was meeting her parents, depending on how the next few hours would go.

"We're gonna be okay," Eloise says, both for Max and herself.

"Together we will be," Max replies before he presses a soft kiss against the back of her hand. Eloise takes a deep breath before opening the door to the dining room. Weirdly, there is no staff around, which tells Eloise her parents wants to discuss completely in private.

"Hello father, mother," Eloise says when she sees her parents, who are already sitting at the table.

"Hello dear," her mother replies, completely ignoring Max.

"Hello Mr. and Mrs., thank you for having me today," Max says, not sure how to address them properly.

"Please sit," Eloise's father says and the couple does as he asks. The food comes out and the four of them start eating in silence.

"Father, why did you want to see me so urgently," Eloise asks, playing dumb.

"I want to discuss the events of this weekend with you," her father replies as she expected.

"What about it?"

"We told you that you were not to see this boy again. Yet, you want behind our backs to do so anyway and lied to us about it. I am fairly certain you also did not spend the summer alone at our summer house, or am I mistaken?"

"No father, Max was there with me. I wanted some time alone so we could get to know each other better. And I'm glad we did that, because now I know what love really is," Eloise says as she looks at Max, a smile on her face. Max smiles back as she basically just said she loves him.

"You have never lied to us like that. What did he do to make you do all that?" Eloise's mother asks, sounding worried.

"Nothing mother, it was my own choice and my own idea. Just as it was my own decision to go public this weekend."

"I do hope you understand that we cannot allow this relationship," Eloise's father says and Eloise nods.

"I know that, but that doesn't mean I'm breaking up with Max. He's too important for me and I can't be without him. So we'll have to compromise," she says, making her parents frown. Max has been quiet all this time, feeling like it's not his place to say something.

"If I could say something?" he starts, looking at Eloise and her parents.

"Of course," Eloise says as she takes his hand. Max smiles at her before looking at the couple sitting across from him.

"I would just like to say that in the short period I've known Eloise, I've quickly discovered what an amazing person she is. When she came with me this weekend, we agreed that she would stay in my motorhome to avoid being seen. But after my retirement, she herself decided to go public with our relationship, which is very brave. I know my world can be crazy and scary sometimes and yes, my job is dangerous. But I know that Eloise can take it. She's one of the strongest people I've ever met and I admire that about her. I wouldn't want anyone else by my side throughout everything I'm experiencing. I love her, more than anything," Max says, making Eloise tear up a bit. She smiles widely when she hears Max say he loves her.

"I love you too," she says, making Max look at her with a smile on his face. If they were anywhere else right now, Max would've pressed his lip against hers. But seeing the situation they're in, that doesn't seem like the best idea.

"That is very sweet of you Max, but that does not change the situation," Eloise's mother says, clearly moved a bit by Max's speech.

"So what is going to happen next?" Eloise asks, wanting to get this over with.

"Your mother and I talked before, knowing we would probably end up in a situation like this. We came to the same conclusion. As a princess, you cannot be with a guy like Max. Even if we were okay with it, there are certain rules," Eloise's father says.

"I already said that I'm not breaking up with him!" Eloise says immediately.

"Well it is either that or...,"

"Or what?" Eloise asks impatiently.

"Or you give up your title," Eloise's mother says, making Eloise's eyes widen.

"You can't do that," Max immediately says, but Eloise doesn't respond. She looks down, thinking about it. Giving up her title, that would change her life completely. She'd be able to be with Max, she could do whatever she wanted, she'd be free.

"I'll give up my title," she says, looking straight at her parents.

"Baby, you can't," Max says, taking her hands. Eloise looks at him and smiles.

"I can and I will. It will change things, but it'll all be for the better. I want this Max, I want to be with you."

"If you're sure," Max says, still not fully convinced.

"I've never been more sure of anything," Eloise says before looking at her parents, "I hope you understand."

"We do," her mother says as she takes her husband's hand.

'"and we hope you'll be happy together," he adds, smiling at his daughter.