xii. Protect From Harm, Pt.2

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

TWELVE PROTECT FROM HARM

(PART TWO)

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

      THE PREFECT'S BATHROOM is always a little warmer than the other ones, what with the large bath creating a constant steamy fog. Holly still isn't sure if she likes this bathroom, because whilst she likes the massive bath and the pretty stained-glass window (even if it's depiction of a mermaid is totally inaccurate) she isn't the biggest fan of how long it takes to walk to. Most of the time she uses the one in the dungeons, because it's a hell of a lot easier keeping her toothbrush in the room next to where she sleeps, rather than a room a whole five minutes' walk away. But, sometimes, she likes to go into this bathroom, considering it's always empty, and the steam makes it a relaxing place to read.

       In Cold Blood by Truman Capote sits in her lap as she leans against one of the windows, a small ledge being her seat. She has the first period free, thankfully, so she sits in the prefect's bathroom with her book, happily reading the true story of a family murdered in cold blood, as the title says. The book's been covered with another dust sleeve, so it comes across as just another book that ties into her learning; she stole this one off of her extra reading for History of Magic, an old book called Sacred Families Around the World.

       Inside of that one, she remembers, had a section about the Malfoys — how they rose through muggle aristocracy, but resentfully went into hiding once it was made illegal to have wizard-muggle relations of any sort — under the United Kingdom section. Valen, however, had it's own page in the Norway chapter, detailing the story of how the Valens, who rose to high status when they moved to England in the 1800s, and a woman called Constance married into wealth, her four husbands mysteriously dying soon after each wedding, and how she promptly changed her son's name to her maiden name, without care for the society's norm at the time. "I'm not giving greatness to another name," she apparently said.

       She had spent that breakfast in the hall, sitting on the Gryffindor table to hear Harry explain what was in Slughorn's memory. "Horcruxes are objects that hide part of someone's soul, so the person can live forever — but you've got to split your soul in order to do it, and to do that, you've got to kill someone. And Voldemort asked Slughorn if you could make seven of these Horcruxes... Dumbledore says that's what he's done, so he can be immortal."

       "But what objects did he use?"

       "He only made six Horcruxes, the seventh part is in his body... But Tom Riddle's diary was one of them, until that was destroyed... And Dumbledore destroyed another, which was Marvolo's ring. He thinks that other ones are Slytherin's locket and Hufflepuff's cup, because Voldemort would want to use artefacts. And—And he says that Nagini, his snake, could be another, but he doesn't know about the other two... But, he says that I can go with him the next time he goes to get another one!"