Chapter III: The Fight for Fall

"Deets, i thought you were dead!"

       "I am, but i like to keep an eye over you guys every now and again. Now let me help you up."

        He helped me out from under the horse. When i look up to tell him thank you, he said Fort Robinson is 20 miles that way, then vanished. So i did all i could, I peeled my saddle off of my horse and started out for the fort. All this time Fall kept in my mind, i was flashing back to everything we have been through and the last moment i saw her. The touch of her hand on mine, The smell of Honey in the air, and my mind wanders back to when i asked her to be mine.

May 23, 1869 Lonesome Dove, Texas

        Fall:" Why do you have to go, everytime he says something you always go running why can't you stay with me for a while. I don't want you to go"

        "Becasue he pays and we need the money"

        "No, We don't need nothing but each other, all the money in the territory, or even the world, would never be a comparison to us Garrett, and you know that."

        "Yeah i guess i do. Hey, when we get to Montana Augustus will need someone to keep after the herd. Go with me, we could start our life there. Come on, What do you say?"

        "I don't know, I mean we ain't even married yet."

        "Oh that reminds me, close your eyes ma'am." i walked over to the wagon and pulled out a box tied closed with a ribbon and my ole guitar. "hold this and listen." Her face was now emanating with a wide beautiful smile as i started to sing.

"There's a want and there's a need

There's a history between

Girls like her and guys like me

Cowboys and angels

I've got boots and she's got wings

I'm hell on wheels and she's heavenly

I'd die for her and she lives for me

Cowboys and angels

 We ride side by side

A cloud of dust, a ray of light

My touch is her temptation

Her kiss is my salvation

She's sweet, I'm wild, we're dangerous

Cowboys and angels

I'm not sure why her path crossed mine

Accident or grand design

Maybe God just kinda likes

Cowboys and angels

 We ride side by side

A cloud of dust, a ray of light

My touch is her temptation

Her kiss is my salvation

She's sweet, I'm wild, we're dangerous

Cowboys and angels

There's a want and there's a need

There's a history between

Girls like you and guys like me

Cowboys and angels"

        "Be mine forever, i will love you until the end of time and then some"

        She opened the box slowly and with a smile she said "Yes, a million times yes. Iove you Garrett"

        "I love you more" we laughed as she gently kissed me.

        As we lay there on the river bank i think to myself, "This is everything I have ever wanted."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlPgV1v2w34