CHAPTER 2

16th Birthday

April 20, 2005

Huge party with all of my friends, a hot new car, and a gorgeous boyfriend. You only turn sixteen once and the sweet sixteen is the way to go. Geez, I think I'm channeling my inner Samantha Baker here. She got screwed for her birthday but at least she got Jake Ryan in the end. He's the ultimate of all dream guys.

Although if I had the choice, I would kill to have a private party with Fall Out Boy. Pete Wentz is gorgeous and throws the whole bassist stigma far out the window. That sounds like the perfect sweet sixteen party. But alas, my parents are poor. I don't have enough friends to fill a sedan let alone some fancy ballroom. And what's the point of having a car if you don't know how to drive? I'm yet again another year older but absolutely nothing about my life has changed. I'm still the same boring Erika Takai.

While the rest of the girls in my class have caught up with Bianca, I, on the other hand, look exactly the same. Not an inch of boobs or ass in sight. At least I'm consistent. Even Kyle filled out and has guys ogling her. Luckily, those guys do not include Parker Townsend, but she wouldn't go for him even if he was. Girl code after all. Hos over bros. And all of that.

The courtyard is full with everyone catching a few extra rays during our short lunch, breaking up the monotony of the day. My half eaten tuna sandwich is less than appetizing as it slides onto my paper bag as I drop it. I prefer my fish to be more of the sushi variety, fresh and expensive. The hard concrete from the stone bench presses against my back as I lay down and pull my sunglasses onto my eyes. The sun warms my face and I sigh catching a few much needed rays.

"Guess what I just found out?"

Kyle's voice breaks up my moment of silence and I sit up on the bench hugging my legs to my chest. I'd be smiling too if I had a delicious smoothie to drink rather than the gray meat that's caused my bread to go soggy. A stray hair flies in my face from the unexpected spring breeze. Pushing it behind my ear I ask, "What?"

"You're supposed to guess." Her smoothie jostles onto the table as she sets the cup down and huffs. "Never mind, you'll never figure it out. Bianca Harwood is having a party tonight."

Who has a party on Tuesday night? That's random and weird. I guess when you have the kind of money that Bianca's parents have, it doesn't matter what day of the week it is. They can celebrate every damn day if they want to. No special reasons required.

"So? We'll never get invited to that."

"We don't need to get invited. Plus, it's your sixteenth birthday. You can't sit at home tonight like you did last year. We have to go. You know, get out for once and live a little. See how the other half parties."

She motions over to the "popular table" where Bianca is holding court and she's surrounded by the rest of the beautiful people of the school—including Parker Townsend. I outwardly swoon, thankful he has no idea I'm drooling over him. Or that I ever do.

"But we don't even like her," I say as I turn back around to look at Kyle. The bench is warmer this time as I lay myself back down. "I doubt we'll know anyone there. How does that sound like a fun time to you?"

"We don't have to like her to crash her party and drink her booze. Hello, free rich kid booze. And I heard that Parker is going to be there."

She knows me so well. One mention of his name and I'll snap to the pressure and agree to go. He has no idea who I am, but the chance to be at the same party together and maybe, just maybe, have an actual conversation is too tempting. Besides, we could have that conversation, then he'll fall in love, and we'll live happily ever after.