CHAPTER 6

18th Birthday Part 3

The noise level in here is almost deafening and my stomach drops at the sight of the overly packed room. There's a table in the corner covered in alcohol and more groupies dancing around. Some are drinking while others are draped over the various rock stars who graced us with their presence on stage tonight. Where is he? The security guard, he'll know where he is and if he's the one that wanted us, me, back here. But he's nowhere in sight either. So much for that idea.

Kyle takes a step inside the crowded room and drags me in behind her. On a mission she heads straight for the alcohol table for a little liquid courage. Good idea. The wet cold bottle is placed in my hand and I don't pay attention to what she gave me and take a sip. I guess there are worse things than drinking beer.

"I can't believe we're backstage right now. This is fucking amazing."

I nod, unable to form a sentence as the bitter liquid slides down my throat. I take a sip, then another before I clear my head enough to form a coherent thought. "Who do you think gave us the passes?"

"Who cares?" She waves her hand in the direction of the overflowing room. "We're back here, right? That's all that matters."

"Yeah, I guess."

"What do you mean you guess?" She eyes me over the top of her beer as she drains its contents.

My knuckles turn white with the tight grip I'm holding onto the beer bottle How is she so laid back about all of this? Am I the only one freaking out right now? "Aren't you just the least bit curious? Out of the thousands of people who were here tonight someone singled us out and made sure the security guard gave these to us."

"That's because we look fucking amazing tonight."

"Yeah—"

He's here.

There's a purpose in his eyes and he's heading right for us. There's no way. Could he be the reason why I'm back here right now? Did he feel it too? The liquor table makes its presence known as I stumble backward. Of course. He's on a mission for his next drink, not plain, boring me. My best friend is so focused on the vulgar lap dance going on that I have to nudge and push her so we aren't hogging the table any longer. An electric current travels through my body at his presence and the juvenile part of me wins out as I turn away while he grabs a beer from the cooler. Can't let him see me gawking like an idiot.

"I guess he found you."

The cold glass against my lips gives me something to focus on as I take another sip. With a sideways glance I attempt to discreetly check out what he's doing and any attempt at cool goes out the window. The liquid sprays out of my mouth and I un-sexily choke and sputter. The hacking continues as his hand whacks against my back a few times to clear my airways. Fucking great. The first time meeting him and I'm a blubbering idiot who chokes on her damn beer. So fucking embarrassing.

"Hey, are you okay?"

How fucking embarrassing. The beer slides down my throat to hopefully diminish some choking. Darkness overwhelms me as I close my eyes to compose myself. I'm making a compete fool of myself right now. I plaster on a fake smile and pretend like everything is okay. Which is not even close to the truth when I come up empty reaching for my best friend. Instead she's lounging in the arm of a couch, snuggling in the lead singers embrace. She moves fast. I turn back to dark Adonis standing next to me.

"That was embarrassing." Turning on a megawatt smile, I add, "Hi, I'm Erika."

"Do you know who I am?" His head tilts back as he takes a heavy drink from the beer in his hands.