1 (Prom Queen)

"A car accident huh?" The girl sitting next to me said, her bottom lip pouting. "So much better than me! All I got to do was fall of a ferris wheel and then BAM!" Her eyes went wide. "Here I am sitting in this dump." She crossed her arms in frustration. Her overalls where caked in dust.

I cocked my head to the side, still confused on how I got here. I knew I was dead, and I had explained how to this girl, but I didn't want to be. I mean who really does.

"The whole Ferris wheel incident sound pretty sweet." A boy, about my age replied.

We were all in a neat row, facing a set of double doors. They were creamy in color, but it was hard to pinpoint the exact type of cream; The color kept changing.

I just sat there, in a daze, staring at the doors, thinking about the life I had left behind. I was still wearing my prom dress, which reminding me of what had happened.

"Jacob, by far your death is the best. You drowned in a vat of chocolate! That's super exciting." The annoying Ferris wheel girl commented.

Best death? Exciting? Were these people seriously speaking that way?

"Yes. Yes it was." The boy replied. "Bummer being dead though..."

"Hey, prom queen, get your head of the clouds and converse! You basically have all eternity to stare aimlessly into the wall!" Ferris wheel smacked my arm bringing me back into the conversation.

"Sorry... I'm just, not use to being.. dead... I guess..." I whispered, rubbing my arm, even though I hadn't felt any pain.

"Oh, it just takes a while. I have no idea when I accepted my death, I just did" She shrugged her shoulders. "My names Georgia by the way." Smiling she sat back in her chair. "This here is Jacob." She pointed to Jacob who was peering over Georgia's head.

"Nice to meet you, both. How long have you guys been here?" I asked, worried about what the answer may be.

"Oh, I don't know. I was born on June fourth nineteen twenty... so... what year was it when you died?" She asked casually.

"Um... June twenty-eighth... uh..." I strained to remember, my memories were all jumbled up. "...twenty..thirteen.." I finally blurted.

"Let's see... I've been here," She began counting on her fingers, "about seventy-five years. Just waiting for my name to be called." She continued to lean back. "How time flies..." She sighed.

"I've been here ten years." Jacob pipped up. "Died when I was sixteen." His eyes drifted to the floor.

"This is weird." I said finally sounding normal. "I don't want to be here. I want to be at my prom, and with my boyfriend dancing to my favorite song!" I was getting angry, my face beginning to turn red.

"You have a boyfriend..." Jacob said pathetically. Normally I would've told him what for, but was too focused on being mad.

"Well, sweetie, we all got someplace we want to be. For example I died on my cousins birthday, pretty rotten gift. I would love to be back on the farm, eating turkey and watching her open gifts. I'm gone and you just gotta except that you're gone too." she looked deep into my eyes. "There just ain't nothing you can do about it."

My fists were shaking. "But what if there was something we could do? These people must know something!" I gestured to the millions of people to the left and right of us. "we can't just sit here!" I shouted.

"Now, now, no need to be all huffy." A new voice said behind. I turned and faced a man, with slick black hair and a pale gaunt face. "Unless you don't sit down and wait like everyone else I am going to have to take measures into my own hands." His eyes seemed to be dancing with fire.

I took a shaky breath and shook my head. "No." I said, standing my ground.

His eyes burned brighter. "A fighter eh? This is going to be so much fun!" He took a step closer, expecting I would pull back. I didn't. I was determined to get answers.

"Why am I here?" I asked, staring back at him with the most menacing expression I could muster.

He let out a huff of air in exasperation. "Are you that naive? You're dead. D-e-a-d. Haven't you figured that out yet?" He stepped closer.

I stood my ground once more, unmoving I replied. "I know that, I'm not dumb-" He cut me off.

"could of fooled me." He said rudely.

"-I just want to know why I am sitting here waiting for my damn name to be called." I continued, calmly moving a little closer, he stared at me with annoyance.

"Well... since you're so fixed on that." He grumbled. "The reason you sit and wait like a good little dead girl is because thousands of souls are being judged. Judged on whether they go upstairs," The man pointed above. "Or downstairs." He pointed to the floor. "Worst case scenario you get banished here for eternity. Waiting. " He smiled in satisfaction, and turned away. "Now for gods sake, sit down." He walked away, leaving me to simmer.

"Ugh!" I said sitting down. "This is boring. I hate being dead." I placed my head in my hands and softly began to cry.

Georgia didn't say anything, instead she was sitting down facing the direction of the doors, Jacob doing the same.

I stared at the rows if people lining the walls. Was this my fate? To sit here for all eternity? Just waiting? It didn't feel right. It didn't feel me. I wanted more than anything to be back in my house waiting for Evan to come walk to prom with me.

As soon as I let the first tear fall I heard my name being called.

The doors slowly opened, revealing an equally bland hallway.

"Kaitlin, Kaitlin McCarthy. Please go down the hall to await judgement."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, chapter one! If you're enjoying this book please leave a vote and a comment, it is greatly appreciated!