-=Friends Like That=-

-=Alex's POV=-
It was Saturday, one of my only two days in which I could sit on my ass and relax without worrying about work or school. I was scrolling through YouTube, yawning. Suddenly, Jackson texted me back. It was a short "Hey" and nothing else. I quickly replied, asking what he was doing. He responded.
Jackson- Watching tv. You?
Me- Funnnnn! I'm just laying in bed
He didn't respond, but he read it. Shoot, I needed to ask him something or he wouldn't text back.
Me- So how has life been? It's been a while!
He took a moment to respond.
Jackson- It's been alright. And yours?
Me- Pretty normal.
I sighed, looking at Eve. She flattened her ears, barking. I smiled and rubbed her ears. Jackson texted back.
Jackson- Wanna hang out or something?
Maybe he was interested in being my friend again after all! There was hope!
Me- Sure! Where, and when?
Jackson- I'll go to your place. In a few minutes. Give me your address?
I quickly responded with my address, and quickly rolled out of bed. I had to make this place look like a total slob didn't live here. Quickly, I made my bed and started to pick up clothes off of the floors. Running around, I decluttered and organized everything, Eve making an attempt to help by nudging the pillows on the couch to each side properly. "Thanks Eve!" I said, smiling, and started to organize my books. It was clean and looked like a normal person's apartment.
Grinning triumphantly, I sat on the couch and waited. Eve started barking a moment before there was a knock on the front door. I quickly walked over, Eve following me. I opened the door, and a very tired-looking Jackson waved. I let him in, and he took off his shoes. He looked around, nodding. "You just cleaned, didn't you?" He asked. I felt embarrassed slightly. "Yeah, I did actually. How could you tell?" He sat down on the couch, and Eve began sniffing him. "Your room was always a disaster," he replied, patting Eve's head. That made me remember the times he'd slept over and..the...things we'd tried with each other.
I ignore the thought and sat down a few feet away. Eve jumped up and sat in my lap, her tongue lolling our happily. "Of course you'd have a dog," Jackson stated, seeming satisfied. I didn't get why he'd said that, but I changed the subject. "So whatcha wanna do?"
He fiddled with his hair, and I realized he was still a lot smaller than me. "We can just talk. It has been quite a few years," he replied. I nodded, smiling, and waited for him to ask a question. "So, did you date anyone?" He asked. I blinked, and nodded. "I dated a few people. Guys and girls. It never got serious though," I replied. He looked thoughtful. "Girls too? How was that?" I looked at Eve. "None of them are really my type," I replied, chuckling nervously. He nodded. An awkward silence fell upon us.
"What about you?" I asked, breaking the silence. He looked up. "I've dated lots of guys. No girls. It didn't exactly get serious, but most of them were pretty interested in sex," he said rather nonchalantly. I blinked, wanting to change the subject. "So, when did you start at the college?" I asked quickly. He shrugged. "This year. I'm in to be an editor for articles and novels and such. How about you?" I scratched Eve's ears. "I started a year and a half ago. I'm in to be a chef," I responded, and Jackson nodded.
It was awkwardly silent again, and Jackson looked tired. "Are you single now?" He asked. Why were all of his questions about this?? I nodded slowly. "I haven't dated in a bit." I didn't really want to ask him that question, I'd seen the guy he was with the other day. "Same here." I tilted my head, confused.
"What about the guy at the store?" I asked. He chuckled, though he didn't smile. "That was just one of the many guys I mess around with." I stared. Had he become a...slut? He leaned back in the couch, looking half dead and half asleep. "I'm guessing you haven't messed around with anyone?" He asked. I looked down. "No...not really." He chuckled, nodding. "Of course. You're the type to stay with someone for quite a while, aren't you?" I thought of middle school, and I felt embarrassed. He was the one who'd always say he liked me.
He glanced at me, and we made eye contact. "What are you thinking about?" He asked. I looked away. "Middle school," I replied. He closed his eyes. "You're so brutally honest. That gets you in trouble.." he stopped, dozing off, and plopped onto his side, asleep. Eve jumped off of me, surprised. I stared, wide-eyed. Sighing, I picked him up, and brought him to my bedroom. Gently setting him down on the bed, I pulled the blanket over him, and stepped back. He looked peaceful. He looked like himself again. I felt this weird urge to do...something, but I ignored it, and walked back to the living room with Eve.