Chapter 4

Might as well get this out of the way.

Knocking on Leo's door, I wait patiently for one of the Halton's to answer. It's his dad that's the first to greet me with a smile. That's it; the smiling is hereditary.

"Micah, hey bud, what's up?"

"Is Leo home?" I ask, although I saw him return home about twenty minutes earlier. I've just been avoiding this until Mom asked if I have talked with him yet. I tried asking why I need to tell him which game I'm going to, but then she gave me The Look. I rather not risk a lecturing so here I am.

"Yeah, he's in his room, come on in."

Mr. Halton steps aside. I do as I'm told then kick off my shoes before heading up the steps to Leo's room. His dad calls up, announcing my arrival before I even make it to his door, which flings open so fast, that Leo almost smashes in his own face like a pancake.

"Micah!" Leo stares down at me with wide eyes, standing in his doorway with nothing but a pair of sweats on. I give him a wave, which seems to bother him, I think, judging by the way he's trying to close his door like he's shielding himself. "Uh, what are you doing here?"

"The match." I hold up the schedule. "I was told to let you know I can make it to the one on Friday."

I don't have his number so talking to him is the only option. While he probably has every social media ever, I do not. I might have a twitter but Beckett is probably the only one that knows what it is since he made it. I'm not social in real life, why would I be social online? The most I do is get a little (very) sassy during video games.

Leo's eyes brighten considerably at the mention of the match. While he doesn't open the door, he does lean against it while smiling. "You'll come on Friday?"

"Yeah, that's...what I said."

Leo suddenly frowns. Running his hand through his hair, he shyly looks away then back to me then away again. This repeats for maybe another thirty seconds until he says, "Um...you know, if you really don't want to go you don't have to. I'm sorry if⁠—if you feel obligated to go. I didn't mean to do that."

Well, technically, it's my mom that's forcing me to go so it's not like he made me feel obligated. I am about to voice this until I see Leo staring at the floor like he's just been sucker punched in the gut. His teeth are out to bite at his bottom lip while his fingers are tapping impatiently against his door. It's an odd look for him, one that makes me feel like an ass, which usually I try to do. In this instance, I'm not trying to be so I'm not ok with the feeling. He asked me to come to the match for a reason. I don't know what that reason is but...it must mean something to him if he asked, right?

"Don't worry about it," I blurt out, shrugging my shoulders as I do. "I don't mind going, it'll be...fun."

I'm not so sure about that, but when Leo's cheeks start to take on a light shade of pink I am suddenly excited about the idea of the game. I start to ask myself if I'm hallucinating, he's not actually blushing, right? I glance around the hall for some sign that he isn't. I don't know what that sign would be, but I don't get it because, when I look back at him, it's still there.

He's definitely blushing.

Why? Because I'm going to his match? Beckett would say it's because he fancies me. Part of me is thinking that way as well because I sure as hell don't blush at the idea of a guy hanging out with me unless I'm interested. Except Leo is straight, at least I think he is.

"Cool, uh, do you want to come in for a bit?" Leo asks, gesturing behind him. I'd say no, but Mom might kill me if she finds out all I did was inform Leo of my attendance. Besides, his behavior makes me curious. Apparently curiosity is my kryptonite.