Chapter 15

4:12am

I leave the house. The morning air is cool against my skin. Mom left only a few minutes ago to start work extra early. I was obviously awake. I didn't get a wink of sleep, told her I just happened to hear her get up so I said goodbye, gave her a kiss, hugged her tighter than usual then watched her leave. My stomach has been jumping like it's a job ever since.

The lights are off at Leo's house. I linger outside his yard for a moment staring, just staring. A lump forms in my throat. My hands are shaking, but I take a deep breath and move on. If I stay, I may back out of my plan. It feels like every moment is leading to that, leading to giving in because the tension is rising, the nerves are barbaric and every second feels like my last.

The bus arrives and the driver is confused to see me; a teen awake so early on a weekend, but says nothing. There are a few others on the bus, likely commuters for weekend work. A few of them give sympathetic looks when I get off about two blocks away from the warehouse, probably more people thinking I'm some drugged up kid. That's fine. They can think that. They should think that. The truth is much worse and I can only hope they don't see me again on the news, a poor teen arrested for robbery, or worse, dead. The thought leaves my throat drier than the Sahara desert.

I hide, vanish, then continue my journey unseen while keeping my eyes peeled for the others. There's no one in sight, not even at the warehouse when I arrive. Stepping into the open space is what hammers it in for me. I'm doing this. I either succeed or fail. This can go two ways and, if I mess this up even a little, then it's over. I'm over.

It's almost scary how calm I'm starting to feel. My hands are steady. The sweat is no longer dripping down my cheeks. Each move is calculated, clean and quiet. A ninja would be jealous of my calm right now.

The only sound comes from that of the occasional vehicle outside followed by a few birds that flutter around their nests atop the roofs. I'm locking the back doors ahead of time, making sure to leave the main door alone so they can come in. Each window is thoroughly checked and secure. Most have locks on the inside so it'll at least stall them before ripping one open. I go over every inch of every single thing, looking for any hidden weapons, checking if they planned on backstabbing me, but there's nothing.

This is it. This is their plan and I'm gonna mess it up either way.

It's not even five thirty by the time I've finished everything yet I don't feel restless. I continue checking, continue looking out and there's nothing on my mind. It's blank, so blank it's almost scary but I'm grateful for it, otherwise, I would be panicking by now.

I end up waiting outside watching the streets. The world is moving in slow motion. When the wind blows trash across the road it seems to suspend in the air then drop. The few that walk the streets are taking long, hesitant steps while their voices muddle together. My own breathing feels slowed.

This is the moment I've seen on TV and in the movies, the point just before all hell breaks loose. When the breath is caught and we sit in our movie seats waiting for the inevitable. No one touches their popcorn or pop. They simply watch and wonder, when will it happen?

I never thought I'd have a movie moment and, if I did, I would prefer something different.

A cop car drives past and it's the first one I've seen since I arrived. They don't come often and that worries me. How long will it take for them to arrive after the call? Should I have done a test run prior to find out? It's too late now. Can I knock the others out or restrain them in time? Once they hear those sirens they'll scatter and there's only one of me.

But such thoughts are put on hold when I realize; it's time.

The getaway car is heading this way. I can only assume they're all in it when the vehicle drives past the wired fence. While they park the car in an unseen location, I return to the warehouse front entrance to lie in wait. Now my heart is beating so loudly in my ears that it hurts. The taser is in my hand, remaining locks needed in the other, zip ties in one pocket and a phone in the other. Their voices are growing closer. Each sound tickles my ears.