Chapter 8

"Something's up, he's been in an unusually bad mood all day," Beckett attempts to whisper to Misty during lunch. I say attempt because Beckett can't whisper to save his life. His voice has two volumes, loud and really loud.

"If we find Leo I bet that will put a smile on his face."

The two snicker, but it lasts all of a second when they realize I don't give them so much as a glare. Yeah, yeah, very shocking. I am well aware, no need to point it out or act on it. Please, let me be emo in peace. Typically I'd be on them about their bullshit, either cursing or insulting them. Obviously I'm not doing that because I am in a pretty awful mood. I'm sitting at our lunch table poking at my food that I end up pushing over to Beckett with a heavy sigh.

"You eat it. I'm not hungry," I grunt, standing up just as Beckett's jaw drops.

"You aren't hungry? Something really is wrong."

"Do you need to see the nurse?" Misty asks.

Both of them are ignored. It isn't like I can talk to either of them. I can't talk to anybody and that's super frustrating. For once I want to talk yet I can't. Does this count as karma? Is this some screwed up torture from the universe? Because, if it is, Universe, you can go die in a ditch.

Everything about me is simply off today, for obvious reasons. Last night I didn't get a wink of sleep, which only adds to my already terrible mood. Then, when I looked out my bedroom window this morning, I saw the car remained. Before I left for school, a different vehicle took its place so the other could follow me. Knowing that there are creeps watching my home, or worse, following my mom, puts my teeth on edge.

Wait, that's not right. My everything is on edge. Every sound, every movement, it's maddening, forcing my paranoia to work over time. Every corner I'm waiting to see Clover⁠—his name for the time being⁠—standing there with a grin. Every second I'm waiting for my phone to go off to tell me something has happened to my mom. I even find myself constantly looking out the windows at school. When I do, I end up spotting that stupid car somewhere.

Clover wasn't joking, they are certainly keeping an eye on me.

Ok, think, Micah. Think. I can't let this get to me. I need to stay calm. I need to outsmart these losers. I can do that because, in the end, I'll have the upper hand. I have freaking super powers, that got me into this mess to begin with, but it will get me right back out. Today is about collecting information. I have to see these idiots after school so, if they are watching me then I'll be watching them. I must listen to every word they say. I must remember their names, their faces, what they drive, what they own, what they sound like, every little detail needs to be kept.

So, let's start with what I already know.

There's at least two cars; the one tailing me and the one at my home. There's a slim chance whoever watched me last night is continuing to do so. It's probably safe to count one person in each vehicle, that totals to two strangers and Clover. My first priority is to find out how many know then I can start thinking of how to get rid of them all at once, maybe even call the cops after discovering?

Groaning, I slam my head against the desk. Going to school today was pointless. I don't pay attention to a word. My mind is not in the present, so much so that I nearly miss the final bell ringing. I don't even remember how the end of the day got here so fast. Upon hearing the bell, my entire body stiffens. Questions like what they plan to have me do and if I can even do it fill my head. The last thing I want is to let them have their way but I know, right now, that's my only option. My life really has become a comic. Terrific.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I get up from my desk while giving Beckett a quick goodbye. I make sure to make it out of the room before he can ask me what's wrong. Seriously, I'd tell him if I could, I'd sit with him for hours whining and cursing, but it's best for the both of us that I don't. Who would have imagined the day would come when I'd have to risk my neck for Beckett? What a load of bullshit! I can't even rub it in and make him be grateful about it! I'm too nice for my own good.