Chapter 10

Sneaking out of the house around 10:30 at night isn't what I wish to be doing with my time yet, here I am. Mom is already asleep, tends to pass out between ten and eleven. I was lucky in this instance since she clocked out at ten. She doesn't hear me walk out the front door.

It's still warm outside yet my body is shaking from the nonexistent cold. The bus stop has a single street light hanging above it allowing the bus driver to see me sitting there anxiously. When the door opens it has a unique scent that I swear buses only have at night. My nose crinkles in disgust when I get on and take a seat far from the two hooded figures at the back of the bus. Luckily, they get off long before I do.

The area we're meant to meet is pretty close to the last one. I'm assuming they live and hang out there, or have found it to be a better place for their shenanigans. Not the nicest part of town, obviously, so I keep my gaze low while making sure to watch and listen for anything suspicious. The last thing I need is to get jumped by some idiot. I have it bad enough already.

Doesn't take me long to find the designated meet up, but I'm a bit confused to find an apartment building with Clover standing outside leaning against the brick. There's also a new face standing at his side, oh joy. Unlike Mophead, this guy has a buzz cut with narrowed eyes and two silver hoops in his left eyebrow, which raises upon seeing me.

"Got caught up at school today, huh?" Clover asks with a sneer that remains that way even when I growl at him.

"Why did you break into my house?"

"Had to get you the note somehow, didn't I?"

"Don't step in my house again."

"Or what?" Clover hums while pushing himself from the wall. He takes a step towards me, pressing his finger roughly into my chest with every word. "Whatcha gonna do 'bout it?"

I'll make him regret it, but I keep that to myself.

Rolling my eyes, I grumble, "I have after school detention the rest of the week."

Clover snorts.

"If you want to talk to me then tell me what stupid shit you'll have me do now. I don't want you in my house again."

My gaze turns to the unfamiliar face that has yet to speak. In doing so, I notice that he's a bit more well kept than Clover and the others. His jeans aren't dirty or ripped up but seem to actually fit, as well as the nice leather jacket he's wearing. Actually, the guy must be rich, or a really good thief, because it looks like he's wearing a Rolex. Bet it's fake, or stolen, or both.

"C'mon we have things to discuss," Clover says while gripping my shoulder roughly and shoving me inside. The stranger follows without a word.

The complex is as disgusting on the inside as it is on the out. Clearly the landlords no longer care since the floors are a disgusting shade of yellow, although I'm pretty sure they were once white. The paint has chipped from the walls and railings. The elevator doesn't even work so I'm made to walk six flights of stairs to the rooftop. I'm a bit confused, thinking we can't get out, but all Clover does is pull out a credit card and slide it through the crack of the door. With a click, it swings open.

My stomach drops when I start to think maybe they no longer want to bother with me. Am I about to be pushed off a building? Because that's what this scenario seems like. If only my super power was to fly!

Clover takes a deep breath once on the rooftop then holds out his arms. "What a view."

I don't respond to that, unsure if it's even meant for me. Seems it isn't judging by the new guy's sudden sigh followed by an impatient question, "Why am I here?"