VII

The morning after was a Sunday, and Tony wasn't letting Peter go to school at all over the next week. The kid needed to heal, emotionally and physically. But Tony also had to talk to Pepper about adopting the kid. They had wanted a kid for a while, but he wasn't sure if a teenager was what she had in mind.

Tony sat up in his bed. It was six o'clock in the morning. Great. He'd only slept three hours. He sighed as he saw the empty space beside him. Pepper was coming back from Austria today. He smiled. He could talk to his fiancée about adopting Peter during the week. He silently prayed none of the Avengers had told her anything.

The billionaire got up and opened his door, stepping into the hall. He shivered, the cold air around him making him regret getting up. He went to Peter's door and opened it, revealing a sleeping Peter. He smiled. At last the kid was sleeping peacefully. Tony continued down the hall to the kitchen, yawning as it came into view.

He started to get his coffee ready when he heard someone walking behind him. "Good morning." Was heard from behind him, and Tony knew who it was just based on the choice of word. It was Steve.

"Ah, are you back from your morning jog, Rogers?" He returned, still having yet to turn around.

"You know me too well, when did you get up?" The Captain asked, curious as to how his friend was doing.

"Six sharp," Tony mumbled.

He heard a disapproving sigh, and Tony finally turned around. The super solider was looking at him in disappointment, shaking his head. "What?" Tony asked, fully aware of the situation.

"You got what, two hours of sleep-"

"Three," Tony interrupted.

"Still, you need to sleep more. It's better for your health and everyone else's. You know how you get." Steve spoke in a calming tone, trying not to set the genius off. To his surprise Tony just muttered an, "Alright," and continued with his coffee.

Thor and Natasha had woken up, Nat deciding and to make some food, Thor throwing a fit the whole time. Natasha muttered something about how the god was basically a toddler, and continued on with the food. Eventually the smell had woken Clint and Bruce, and the two sat patiently.

It was around one o'clock in the afternoon, and Peter still had yet to make an appearance. Tony had suggested waking the kid up, but Bruce stopped him, saying, "He needs rest, just let him sleep." Tony reluctantly agreed, and sat in his lab, upgrading his suit.

"FRIDAY, what time is it?" He asked without looking up.

"One twenty-two, sir." The A.I. replied.

Tony nodded his head and looked up from his work. The lab looked a mess, but to Tony is was completely organized.

The genius stood up and walked out of the lab, taking the elevator back up to the living room. He usually used the lab upstairs, but a certain suit needed upgrading and he had to do it downstairs. He walked out after the short ride, walking down the hall and into the living room. The room was silent, the only two people on the floor being Peter and Tony. The rest were out training, or in Bruces case, the lab.

'Might as well make some more coffee.' He could feel his eyes drooping from exhaustion. He quickly made the drink, walking to the lab on this floor. He walked inside and started thinking about what to do. His thoughts wandered to the kid, and he immediately knew what to do. He decided to make the kid some painkillers, as normal ones wouldn't work for his high metabolism.

Just as he was finishing someone entered the lab. Tony looked up from his work and saw Peter standing there. "Mornin' kid. You slept pretty late, you hungry?" He asked, looking back to his work.

"I'm fine, thanks." Peter answered.

'Weird. He should be hungry, especially with his metabolism.' Tony shrugged it off as nothing, and looked back up at him. "Ok then, but if you change your mind then come get me and I'll make you something, it probably won't be the best but it's better than those poptarts Thor buys."

"You guys have poptarts? I love those!" Peter said excitedly, grinning widely.

"Not you too," Tony groaned.

Peter only smiled wider at him. For the first time during his stay the kid looked turkey happy, and his old self was back. Tony smiled and continued on with his work, hearing Peter walking around the room. "Your suit is over there is you wanna work on it," The older man said, pointing over to where it was among the clutter. The boy made his was over and started tinkering with it. A few minutes passed and Clint stuck his head in the room, calling them out for lunch, leaving as quickly as he came.

The two made their way to the kitchen, pausing to see who was making lunch. It was Steve, and he was making paninis. "What does Peter like on his panini?" The man called as they passed.

"Oh, um, cheese, chicken, and lettuce is all, thank you Mr. Rogers." Peter replied shyly, still wary around the team. He nodded and continued cooking, already knowing there rest of the teams panini orders.

Peter continued to the living room, where the rest of the Avengers were waiting. He found a spot beside Tony but decided to sit by Bruce instead. He instantly regretted it, anxiety coursing though his veins. The scientist must have noticed the boys shaking hands, and attempted to calm him down.

"So, how's school?" Banner asked, smiling.

"Oh! It's good, for the most part. It's fun and all but at the end of the day it is school, and it sucks." Peter replied, looking up from his hands. The two stayed silent, having nothing to talk about. Steve called for lunch a few minutes later, and the team all rushed to the table. Thor was chanting for food, clearly hungry. Nat just shook her head at the god, clearly annoyed.

As they ate the heroes talked about missions coming up and stuff about their personal lives. Peter was shocked to discover Clint had kids, smiling proudly as he talked about them. They finished an hour later, as talking seemed more important than food. Peter had even talked a bit, finally warming up the the team.

He smiled, but it was all an act. He truly just wanted to return to his room and cry, cry over his aunts death. He sighed, wishing he had never met Tony, then he wouldn't have to deal with him. He missed Aunt May, and felt himself slipping. Tony must have noticed the tears forming in his kid's eyes, as he tried to wrap up the conversation so he could talk to the kid.

But as soon as the conversation ended Peter had swiftly walked to his room, locking the door behind him. He collapsed onto his bed and cried for his aunt, wishing he could have been there to prevent it. Instead he had been over with Tony messing around with his web-shooters. Stupid Tony. Stupid Peter. He could've prevented this, but he didn't.

He felt the world around him sway as he cried. He just wanted his aunt back.

That's all he wanted.

—————————

EDIT: HOW DO Y'ALL NOT KNOW WHAT A PANINI IS? THEY'RE SO GOOD SMH

Ok! So I listened to Robert Downey Jr.'s music while I wrote this and it may be old, but it's so damn good! It's calming and nice, so I totally recommend you listen to some of it! Also, Jeremy Renner's voice is? Holy shit, it's so amazing! Please listen to him sing, it's totally worth it!

Anyways, I'm pretty generous today, publishing two chapters in one day, aren't I? I was just feeling inspired and such, but this chapter is more of a filler. The next chapter is going to be really dark, so read at your own risk...