Chapter 5: Betrayal

Dan was in the Garden outside the venue. It was quiet. It must be late he thought to himself as he looked up at the stars. Tears stinging his cheeks he pulled his phone out of his suit jacket to check the time.
5 messages from Louise. It hurt to even see her name anymore, he trusted her his whole life and she made a show of him in front of the entire year. Seeing her name felt like a stab in his chest.
He opened the messages anyway out of curiosity,
"Louise: Dan, Phil wasn't in on anything I promise"
"Louise: Dan?"
"Louise: Dan please answer"
"Louise: Ok listen, you don't have to answer but if you do end up reading it please just know that I'm sorry, I know you'll never forgive me but I'm sorry, blame me for whatever you think, leave Phil and PJ out of it"
"Louise: sorry Dan"
Dan could feel the night air sticking the tear stains on his cheeks. "Sorry", he whispered to himself, "Sorry isn't good enough". He was angry again. He'd never thought out of all people his best friend would have betrayed him like that. He leaned back on the bench and pulled out his headphones he had been using on the bus, put his playlist on shuffle and just sat there, looking at the stars.
Back inside Phil was still contemplating weather to go after Dan or not. He turned to Louise, "Any Luck?", he asked her. Louise checked her phone, "He's read them, no replies though", she says holding back tears, her and Dan were so close they'd usually respond to messages in seconds.
"Alright!!", everyone heard the DJ say over the microphone, "This a fun little game I like to play", he announces while starting to play a slow song, "Now I want you to go dance with someone you didn't come here with", he says smirking at the crowd, "Would you be so kind?", PJ asked Louise, putting on a posh voice. "I'd love to kind sir", she chirped back, giggling.
Phil was planning on asking Sophie to dance but she was nowhere to be seen. Phil felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around hoping it would be a certain boy with brown hair and chocolate eyes.
No, there was a girl with short blonde hair in tight curls, she had blue eyes and olive skin. "Would you like to dance?", it was Amy, the girl that wouldn't leave him alone earlier and had a huge crush on him when they were 14.
"Um", Phil didn't want to dance with her at all. He felt too awkward to say no to her though so he just agreed politely and led her to the dance floor.
Dan had been sitting by himself for a while now, he was re-thinking everything. Maybe he was wrong. Maybe he did jump to conclusions too quickly. He checked his phone to see what time it was, 11:43. He had 3 more messages from Louise and one from Phil.
"Louise: Dan listen, this is what really happened, I don't care if you don't believe me but this is the story:
So when we were on the bus I saw PJ's phone and Phil had messaged him saying he was really nervous and he thought you hated him because you wouldn't look at him. I told PJ you liked Phil and he agreed we should try set you two up!! That's why we were being all weird. You should go talk to Phil. He lubs you Dan"
"Louise: *lubs"
"Louise: **LOVES omfg"
Dan chuckled at Louise's typo, maybe he really was wrong. I mean, Louise's story didn't have any evidence of lie, it all made sense.
He remembered Phil had sent him a message and decided to check it.
"Phil: Dan, I don't know what you're thinking or telling yourself right now but please come back inside, we can work this out ok?"
Dan knew Phil was right. He had to go back inside and get things straight. He had to go fix his mistakes, Dan took a few deep breaths to steady himself and started making his way inside.
Meanwhile, Phil was still worrying about Dan while he was dancing with Amy. Nobody knew this but Amy never stopped having a crush on Phil. She had to do it tonight before she missed her chance.
The next thing Phil knew Amy's lips were on his. She was kissing him. Out of the corner of Phil's eye he saw Dan, frozen in the doorway, looking right at them. Before Phil had a chance to push Amy away Dan was already being hugged and led back outside by Louise and PJ.
Phil was furious. He pushed Amy away and half shouted, half whispered as to not to cause a scene. "What the hell were you doing?!", He hissed. "Kissing you?", Amy replied in a tone that said 'Isn't it obvious?'. Phil, completely disgusted didn't even reply, he just walked away shaking his head furiously, determined to find Dan.
"Dan it's ok", Louise said cradling and shushing him. "This is my fault", she told him, "If I hadn't made you come to this stupid dance none of this would have happened".
"Sorry about before", whispered Dan, still crying into Louise's shoulder. "It's ok Dan, I understand we shouldn't have gone behind your back like that", she glanced at PJ who was looking at his phone, frustrated. "Is everything ok Peej?", Louise asked, "Um, actually, Sophie is mad at me because I've been spending more time with you than with her so she uh, she left early", he said and pursed his lips to stop him from crying.
PJ heard a door closed and turned his head, it was Phil. PJ cleared his throat to get Louise's attention. She looked up, PJ nodded towards Phil who was looking for them. "Excuse me for a moment", Louise said standing up.
She marched towards Phil who looked relieved to see her.
"Louise, thank goodness have you seen Dan?", he questioned quickly. "He doesn't want to see you right now", Louise told him firmly. "Listen here Lester, I don't know what kind of games you're playing but you leave Dan alone, he's had his heart broken twice tonight, he doesn't need it to happen again". There was something different in her voice Phil had never heard before, she was hurt, defensive. "But-", Phil started but Louise cut him off, "But nothing, now you go back in there and go have fun with your new girlfriend hm?", her voice was shaking, Phil new he had to go, Louise was pointing towards the door waiting for him to exit through it.
Phil turned around and started making his way back inside. When he got in he leaned against the wall with his head in his hands. "What have you done now Phil", he whispered to himself as he let a single tear fall down his cheek.

*Authors Note*
I'm not even sorry anymore mwahahaha