Chapter 4

It was early the following morning when Robin left her apartment. She was about to go down the stairs when she heard noises coming from Ethan's apartment. For a moment she stopped as curiosity got the best of her. 

Suddenly the door to his apartment flung open. "What are you looking at?" He said angrily. 

Without saying anything Robin turned away and started walking down the stairs quickly. He had been nice the night before, but apparently, that only lasted for so long. Still, she had to admit that she owed him, and decided to repay him as soon as possible. 

She started her day as usual and well, continued her day as usual. It was around lunchtime that she called Jaclyn and asked her if she had any 'thank you' cakes laying around. Thankfully she had and Robin could pick it up on her way home. 

After lunch, Robin had several meetings and then in at the end of the day a wedding. Robin had been to quite a number of weddings. Half of her closet was filled with dresses especially for attending them. 

Tonight she wore a light blue dress, it wasn't one of her favorites, but it was quite comfortable. She carried a small clutch with her phone and some money in it. The ceremony had been beautiful and after congratulating the newly wedded couple she decided to make a quick exit. Putting her long dark coat over her dress she walked out of the building. 

This time opting against walking home she hailed a cab. Soon she was back at her apartment, quietly walking up the stairs once more. Once she was nearing her floor she started hearing the all too familiar music booming from his apartment. 

She sighed as she shook her head, 'it's always the same with him.' 

It wasn't until she was inside her apartment, had opened the fridge and saw the cake that she even remembered she had it. 

It was a small cake with Thank you, written on it in icing. Sure it was a lame thank you gift, but it felt wrong not to do anything at all. But then again, what do you give someone after they save you from being raped?

She grabbed the cake and made her way over to his front door. First, she knocked on it three times. 

But the door didn't open. 

Then she knocked louder...

Yet it still didn't open. Once she was about to turn back she heard the door open. 

There he stood, looking disheveled as always. His hair looked long enough to braid, along with his beard. He wore a big sweatshirt and very lose sweatpants. He looked at her with a slightly annoyed look, completely different from the look he wore the day before. 

"Yeah?" He asked raising one eyebrow.

"I wanted to thank you." She said extending the cake to him. "And I didn't quite know what else to get you, so I got you a cake."

With wide eyes, he took the cake from her hands and looked at it for a moment. In a split second his whole demeanor changed and he took a step to the right. "Would you like to come in?" He asked with what seemed to be a small smile on his face. 

"I'm sorry?" Robin replied not quite understanding. 

"O God, that sounded weird, would you like to come in and have a slice of cake with me?" He said raking one of his hands through his unruly hair. 

Robin hesitated for a moment contemplating what to do. She had never really talked with her neighbor for longer than a couple of minutes, nor had she ever seen the inside of his apartment. Then she decided that she could use a short break, and well, she loves cake. 

"O what the hell." She said walking over to him, as he held the door open. "I would be stupid to refuse cake." 

Ethan chuckled as he closed the door behind her. "Well, it is a bit of a mess here." He said turning the music off. "But we can sit in the kitchen."

Curiosity overtook her as she looked around the apartment. It actually was a lot cleaner and neater then she expected. It actually had a very similar layout to her own apartment, but the decor looked vastly different. You could really tell that a bachelor lived here. 

"Are you done inspecting?" He said grabbing a knife to cut the cake. 

"I..." She started objecting but decided against it as she saw his face. "Yes, I'm sorry, curiosity overtook a little bit." 

At that, he didn't reply and simply nodded. 

Without saying anything else she walked over to the kitchen table and took a seat. 

"Going somewhere fancy? or did you just come back from it?" he asked placing the pieces on a plate. 

"I'm sorry?" She said furrowing her brows. 

"Your dress, are you going to a party?" He said motioning to her. 

"Ah, no I just got back. Just had a wedding."

"Figures." He said as he put her piece in front of her. Noticing the look on her face he quickly added, "You know with your job and all." 

"Yeah, I realized." She chuckled slightly. For a moment she hesitated, not sure if she should start eating, or what to do at all. He on the other end had already started eating. Both of his elbows were on the table, as he ate the cake in a rather uncharming way. Once he had noticed that she wasn't eating he motioned for her to do so and she started eating too.

"This is very good." He told her, albeit with his mouth full. 

"Thank you, though I cannot take credit for it, my friend made it." She said smiling. 

"Let me guess, a baker who makes wedding cakes?" He said returning the smile. 

"Yeah in fact she does." 

For a moment it was quiet before Robin couldn't' help herself, "So what do you do for a living?" 

He looked up at her, seemingly surprised by the question and she quickly tried to redeem herself. "I mean, you seem to know about my job, I was just curious..." She said tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.