Chapter 14

After Robin's confession about her past, a comfortable silence fell over the two. Robin needing a moment to compose herself and Sophia recognizing that and giving her her time. 

It didn't take to long however for their conversation to start again. First, they were gossiping about their worst clients but as the food was brought to their table the conversation returned to Robin's family. 

"Ugh, some mom's are just the worst..." Sophia said taking a bite of her food, "I mean come one let your kids do what they want, it's not your wedding." She said sounding funny as she had her mouth full. 

Robin chuckled, "I know what you mean, they are just the worst." She paused for a moment, "I think my mom might just be the worst of them all." 

At that Sophia paused her chewing, curiosity taking over but after earlier, she didn't want to pry. But apparently the look of, 'tell me more woman' was written all over her face as Robin chuckled.

"Don't worry I'll tell you why," Robin replied, "She's just always been very controlling, I mean that's why I didn't want her to know about my job. If she found out she'd want the entire wedding to be free and to have the best of the best, because you know they are family after all." 

Sophia frowned a little, "She's one of those?" 

"Yup," Robin said tearing off a piece of bread, "You do anything for the family, right? Doesn't matter what it costs you, we're family." She added in a sing-song voice, "God, I'm not looking forward to this." 

"I can imagine," Sophia said with a sympathetic look on her face. 

"Oh don't look at me like that," Robin scolded her, "Let's quit talking about my family and actually talk about something fun." 

And just like that, the topic of Robin's past and family was off the table for the night. Slowly but surely they started having more and more fun, to the point were for a moment Robin forgot about it all. For a moment she didn't worry about her brother's wedding or having to see her family again for such a prolonged period of time... 

At that time she and Sophia just had fun. After dinner, they headed to a small bar and enjoyed a couple of drinks, before they both called it a night. Soon after that Robin found herself treading up those all too familiar stairs slowly but steadily. 

Now she hadn't overdone the drinks, that part she was sure off. But she did feel a little off, just a little though... Most likely due to the fact that she had just about zero alcohol tolerance... A little went a long way.

The stairs felt longer than they usually did, but then again they were kind of long. As she reached her floor she was greeted by the sight of her door, bringing a smile to her face. Soon she would be laying in her comfortable bed and be off to dreamland, she thought as she fumbled through her bag trying to find the keys. 

Once she found them she opened the door and dropped her bag down beside it. Pushing the door closed behind her with her foot she padded over to her couch and lay on it for a moment. Soon she would get up, remove the makeup that she was wearing and head to bed, she could shower tomorrow. But now she just lay there for a moment, letting the full events of the day hit her... 

There was one thing that she was sure of in this whole situation, she wasn't looking forward to any of it. As she lay there, lost in her thoughts, she almost didn't hear the soft knock on the door. In fact, at first,  she didn't hear it at all, too far away in her own thought process. But on the third, slightly harder knock she heard it, shooting up from the couch she stared at her door, trying to figure out if she'd really heard it. 

When another knock sounded she was sure and got up to her feet. Who would be at her door at this time? She pondered as she opened it. As the door swung open she nearly hit herself in the face with it,  something that caused the person standing outside to laugh. 

"Are you alright?" Ethan said still chuckling, "I'm sorry that was just really funny." 

Robin sighed, a smile cracking out on her face, "Yeah I'm sure it was." She said, "Now why did you knock?" 

"Well, I got these packages for you." He said pointing down to the floor where three cardboard boxes neatly stood. 

"Ugh..." Robin groaned rubbing her face with her hand, "Those stupid packages... Why do they always come when I'm not home?" 

"Are you sure you're alright?" Ethan said looking at her funnily, "You sound off."

"I'm fine," Robin said, "I'm just done with today..." She mumbled. 

Ethan nodded, "Ah, it's one of those days? Well, in that case, let me lend you a hand, these boxes are quite heavy." He bowed down to pick up one of the boxes when Robin stopped him. 

"No it's alright I got this." She said bending down to grab one of them. It was, however, like Ethan mentioned, a rather heavy box. As she struggled with it Ethan watched with crossed arms.

"Are you sure you don't want me to help?" He said. 

Robin sighed as she stood back up and held the door open, "Alright, please help me." 

Ethan chuckled as he picked up the first box and walked into her apartment, "Where you do want this?" He asked. 

"Oh doesn't really matter," Robin said, still holding the door open, "Wherever there's space for it is fine." 

Ethan nodded as he put the package down. He did that two more times until all the boxes were neatly placed in Robins apartment. As he walked out he turned back to her, "Alright well good night." He said putting his hands in his pockets. 

"Thank you." Robin said standing at the door, "And goodnight."