01: hangover

[solange's pov]

You have 3 new messages in your voicemail

I rolled over in my bed as I rubbed my morning, awfully looking hangover face to reach out for my phone on the bedside table. I force myself to click on opening the voicemails waiting from this morning.

Voicemail from Mom

Hi Solange, it's mom. I tried to call you yesterday night but you didn't pick up any of my calls, so hopefully you'll hear this. I just wanted to know how you're doing in your new house in Chicago and how things are going. By the way, have you found a job yet? I really wanna hear your news. Call me.

Voicemail from Kat

I know you being your lonely alcoholic self are probably going to end up deleting this and never hearing it again, but I just wanted to ask you, as your friend, for you to leave your house. I'm serious Solange. Call me back for christ sake.

Voicemail from Michael 

Please don't call me, I'm at work. Thanks.

After hearing the three dreadful voicemails left for me, I naturally pick the most important one to answer first, and call Michael right the second his voicemail ends.

"Can't you understand basic english? I told you specifically not to call." He fires back as soon as he picks up. I get taken aback by his harsh tone, especially since I'm still fighting against my awful morning hangover.

"Michael what are you doing at work? I thought you had Mondays off! I need you here," I plead out, dragging my words and even whispering some of them. 

"Why, so I can help you with your millionth hangover? Solange you're the most dependant twenty year old I've ever seen." He keeps on with his lecture, the one I'm already quite used to hearing even if after only two weeks living in this apartment with him, "Go take a shower and watch some cartoons, you should feel better after some hours. Now please, don't call me anymore. Goodbye." He hangs up the call quickly, before I even got time to answer a single word back. I let out a sigh, resting my phone on the side table again and getting back to staring at the white ceiling above me. 

The truth is Michael is the only voicemail I answer because it's the only one I know how to. I don't know how to explain my mother that her daughter hasn't found a job or made any friends yet, this with leaving the fact that I fall on her vision of a perfect daughter by drowning my feelings and worries in alcohol. This also explains why I avoid Kat's calls, I can't stand the thought of confronting her just to have all of this thrown at my face. 

So every morning, I stand here. Either by Michael's side, or alone, after hearing my voicemails and checking the missed (and avoided) calls. Only this time, there was one voicemail missing.

My boyfriend's, Lucio. Since I left our hometown after ending highschool and dropping out of college after two years, we barely see each other anymore. He lives close to an hour away from me, which wouldn't be a big barrier if I actually made an effort to get out of my house and make time for him. My feelings towards him are so inconstant, sometimes I want to spend the whole day next to him while others I can't stand the idea of picking up one of his late night facetimes. 

I take a long, deep breath to gain strength to leave the bed, my head feeling dizzy when I sit in it. I take a few seconds to make the room stop moving around me, and get up once I feel confident enough that I won't trip in my own feet. In my room's bathroom, I leave the bathtub water running while I go eat something quick at the kitchen. On my way there, I fall over some bottle I left on the floor, probably from last night, and curse to myself knowing damn well I knew this would happen yesterday night. 

a/n

this is so short and kind of boring, i'm sorry but it's just the beginning!!! i just wanted to start slow and show a bit of her life and people closest to her. also i didn't want to make solange the perfect girl next door, the innocent and dumb one and make this a super typical story. so yeah she's a much more complex character than that

i hope you liked it? if so don't forget to vote :) it motivates a lot! also comment if u feel like it and add to your reading list/library so u don't forget this exists ;)