05: open relationship

For the first time in a while, I was genuinely glad I had gotten out at night with a friend. Kat picked me up at my place and after hours of late night driving plus a bunch of stupid late night thoughts, we somehow ended up by ordering take out and binging the food inside her car.

As I was laughing about a story Kat told me about her work, my phone beeped with a new text message. I drive my eyes to the phone resting on my lap, my smile quickly fading when I check who it was.

"What is it?" Kat asks, clearly realizing how I tensed up after reading the text. She briefly took a peek to my phone, who didn't take long to black out completely.

"Um, nothing. It's not important." I brush the matter away, not wanting to go into detail as to why my boyfriend decided to send me a text, at precisely 3am saying 'we need to talk'. The frown that was now ruining my face was hard to hide, as I'm not the best at pretending I'm not mad at something.

"Well, I'll head back to the road then." She broke down the chain of silence hovering around us, putting the empty bag of her sandwitch away.

"Yeah." I mumble quietly, sliding down on my seat as I used the starry night outside to distract me from the message. In three long years of this relationship, I always thought I would be the one to send this text.

"You know, he's not all that..." Kat blurts out, glancing at me for a slim second, "Lucio, I mean. He's not what you want him to be. I'm not even sure he is what you need." She confesses, making sure we have eye contact as she finishes. I drive my stare back to the road, looking for what to say.

I spent a good amount of minutes searching for something to reply to Kat, but frankly I couldn't find anything. I wasn't sure if that meant I agreed with her, or if I'm just confused about the state of my own relationship. I guess it's a bit of both.

I sighed heavily, laying my head that still felt like something was hammering on it, on the car window. All of those overwhelming past midnight thoughts were shut up by my tired head giving in to sleep.

(...)

I open half of my eyes as I was woken up by the car slowly stopping. I check my side to see Kat mumbling something outside of her rolled down window, and it didn't take me long to realize we weren't exactly close to mine, or hers, neighborhood.

"Kat, where are we?" I mumble the words out of my mouth, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand so I could wake myself up.

Her dark blonde hair swinged back in my direction, "I'm just picking up some friends, it's alright." She soothed me with a soft side smile, and I was dazzled by the doors from the back of the car opening in a rush.

I turned back to check that those friends were in fact Aaron and other guys; to my misfortune, one of them was one I had already encountered.

"Goodnight, ladies." Aaron, who was sat in the middle, greeted us along with a flashy smile. When my sight dropped on the guy I recognized from last night, I immediately turned my body around to avoid any further confrontation.

I simply sent Kat a deadly look, that she answered with a little smile and in seconds she was off on the road again.

Aaron's friends and Kat occasionally exchanged some words, mostly about whatever they were doing where she picked them up plus where the three of them lived. I recognized the neighborhoods, as they were known for being the house to the wealthy people of Chicago. I decided not to make any comment, as I had no desire whatsoever to involve myself more with any of these boys, whose business seemed fishy to me.

Close to an hour later, Kat finally slows down her car next to an apartment right in the middle of the city, lightened up all around, surrounded by other skyscrapers and such.