02: katcalled

I pushed the only skirt I own down after repeating to myself how much I regret chosing to wear it, simply to look professional. Even with how tragic my outfit looks, it couldn't mask the even more tragic job interview I just went through. As I shake my head to myself, still reminiscing about my poorly executed job interview, I sight Michael inside his car where he was waiting for me.

"So how did it went?" Michael pops up the question as soon as I open the car's door.

"How do you think it went?" I let out a defeated sigh, taking the seat next to Michael. I cover my shameful face with my hands, whispering to myself about how I've completely ruined 6 job interviews so far.

"Well, you tell me. There was an opened bottle of Bourbon above our counter in the kitchen," He stares at me, a mixture of disappointment and sarcasm surrounding his words and expression, I can't tell if he's about to either scream at me or laugh in my face, "What were you thinking?"

"I don't know, okay? I was nervous. Alcohol helps me." I retort to Michael's attempt at making me feel bad, which was working. I knew the reason why the job interview went downhill was because the woman quickly noticed alcohol was involved, right when the words stumbled out of my mouth and I was struggling to make full setences, "It was what got me through college."

"You dropped out of college, Solange..." Michael mutters, giving me a look I couldn't exactly decifer, turning the car engine on.

"How do you think I made it through two years, though?" I break the tension by giving Michael a side smile what finally broke a laugh out of him, "Look, I know you're right. It's just my messy and dumb way of cooping with things." I sigh, after admiting his points were right. I roll down the car's window to let some fresh air in, leaving my arm resting in the support of the window.

"You're simply trying too hard. Have some days off, without worrying about showing up at job interviews," He said soothingly, as his eyes were glued to the road in front of him, "You have a goddamn boyfriend, for Christ's sake, give him a call and, I don't know, go out." Michael shrugged, telling me once again to do something outside of our apartment for once. I wasn't this much of a loner when I was living in my hometown, in Houston, I actually enjoyed attending parties and you'd rarely catch me home. But now things are different, I guess I matured with those two wasted years of college.

"It kind of became weird to be with Lucio now. I don't know, it feels like we are at two different paces in our relationship," I confess to Michael, glancing down at my phone for a few seconds, pondering if I should actually send him a message or not, "I haven't seen him since last week, too."

"Then that's the perfect excuse for you two to set up a date. You should at least try to make it work, it's a 3 years long relationship we're talking about here." Michael nods as if he's making a valid point, I look away from him to not give away how right he is, once again.

"I mean yeah but -does that even matter if I feel almost completely disattached from our relationship?" I let out loud the thoughts I had been holding back from months now, what made me and Michael exchange speechless looks. After what seemed like hours of silence in the car, I break it by changing the subject, "Well, I'll see if Kat wants to go out tonight. She has been pushing me to do it since I moved here."

"Yeah, do that. And, maybe, just maybe, I'll go out too." He tries to hold back a smirk but fails miserably.

"What do you mean?" I ask with a silly smile plastered on my face, knowing Michael is not one to go out too much, too.

"I might try to go on a date," Michael confessed vaguely, still leaving out too much information that I now needed, "It's not official yet, just a little Tinder date."