05

Casey’s POV

                I checked the time on my phone once more. It read 3:24pm.

                “Where is he?” I muttered, scanning the park from my seat on the bench. Kids were playing noisily on the playground, people and couples strolling on the stone paths. There were even a few owners playing with their dogs.

                But no Dakota.

                I sighed, resigning to watching the dogs run and bark happily as their owners threw the ball or Frisbee. Dakota had texted me to meet him here at 3:15, he was already 10 minutes late.

                My top teeth sunk in to my bottom lip as I began to worry .

                What if he was playing a joke or something? What if he ditched me? Would he really do that? I mean, he seemed like he genuinely wanted to hang ou—

                “Casey! Hey!” Someone sat down beside me slinging their arm over my shoulders. I jumped slightly, turning to them with an ‘o’ of surprise.

                Dakota just grinned, and my surprise faded, my lips tilting upwards.

                Sure he was late, but I was still glad to see him.

                “Hey,” I greeted.

                “Sorry I’m late,” he retracted his arm from my shoulders, “I lost track of time talking to Ollie and Nick.”

                I just shrugged. “It’s okay, I wasn’t waiting too long.”

                He gave me his signature goofy grin. “Great,” he said, “What do you want to do?”

                Again, I replied with a shrug. “I have no idea. Why’d you want to meet at the park?”

                “It’s nice here, full of life, you know? I just thought it’d be cool to walk around and talk,” he admitted, and I nodded.

                “That actually sounds really fun. Let’s do it.” I stood up, and he followed. “Where to?”  

                “I’m not – wait, I want to show you something.” He grabbed my hand, and started off at a fast pace, grin still in place. I just followed in confusion, averting my eyes from those of curious strangers.

                “Where are we going?” I asked once he paused at the entrance of one of the trails leading into the forest behind the park.

                “Into the woods,” he answered, eyes glimmering with excitement.

                I looked at him uncertainly, but didn’t have time to respond as he pulled me forwards once more.

                I nearly stumbled once or twice as Dakota pulled me along the somewhat rocky path, my eyes solely focused on the ground.

                “Dakota! Where are we going?” I rushed out as he continued tugging me along. I narrowly avoided another jagged rock poking up from the ground, gripping Dakota’s hand a little harder than necessary as we practically ran.

                He chuckled lightly. “You’ll see soon, we’re almost there.”

                I bit my lip, concentrating on my footwork once more. Knowing me and my clumsy self, I should be tripping any time soon…

                As if on cue, my foot caught on a stray root, and I tumbled forwards with a slight scream leaving my lips.

                “Dakota!” I shouted, as I started to fall. He turned slightly, eyes widening as he caught me in his arms. He took a couple steps back to regain his balance, and I was left with my hands placed on his chest for support, our bodies close together. “Sorry about that, thanks,” I said breathlessly, my heart hammering.

                “No problem,” he replied, sounding nearly as breathless as I did.

                We were staring into each other’s eyes, but I forced myself to look away as a blush overcame me.

                “Err…” I trailed awkwardly as I stepped away from him. I brushed a stray strand of hair away from my eyes. “Where did you say we were going again?”

                Dakota’s eyes had a distant look in them, but he snapped out of it when I spoke. Then he resumed his usual grin. “We’re almost there,” he said, shoving his hands into his pockets, this time walking to this mystery place.

                I wrapped my arms around myself slightly as I followed behind, grateful for going slowly this time.

                But I couldn’t stop the gasp when we finally arrived.

                It was just so.. beautiful.

                After weaving through some trees, long weeds and grasses brushing against my legs, we had finally reached our destination. To say it took my breath away would be an understatement.

                Lush green waving gently in the breeze, a brilliant blue sky illuminating the clearing, I couldn’t help but be in awe. A thin stream coursing through the center of it, it was a field with flowers of all colors dotting in between the grass.

                “Oh my God, Dakota…” I whispered, grabbing his bicep as I continued to stare.

                I saw him run a hand through his hair from the corner of my eyes.

                “Do you like it?” he murmured, eyes darting nervously from side to side.

                “Like it?” My face bloomed into a giant grin. “It’s absolutely gorgeous!”

                His lips tugged up into a smile also. “I’m glad you like it, this is the place I go whenever I need to be alone,” he admitted, and I turned to him.  

                “Thank you for sharing this place with me, Dakota.” I felt the need to thank him with some other way than words, so I embraced him tightly. The field made me feel so.. secure, safe. It made me forget about all my troubles, and what I have to deal with on a daily basis.

                In fact, he made me forget about my problems, I hadn’t once thought about my disorder the entire time I was with him.

                That, I think, deserved more than just a hug.

                So leaning up on my tiptoes, I gently placed my lips on his.

.

.

.

just.. DAWWW! sorry for lack of updates, i'm definitely not going to make it for camp nano ._. but does this make up for it? ;P 

I know it seems a bit rushed, but i'm feeling.. emotional today, ya know? plus if someone who you may or may not like just shared their beautiful secret hiding place, AND made you forget about your problems, don't you think they'd deserve something more than just a 'thank you'? xP 

but anyways, sorry it's so short, i'll try and get another update out soon c:

PS is it just me that thinks Luke Hemmings would make a cool Dakota?