19

Casey’s POV

        Even we, as living things, need to breath. 

        Dakota and I pulled away, breathless. 

        In a way, I still couldn’t believe that was real. “Did that just happen?” I murmured in disbelief. 

        Dakota laughed. “Yes, it just did. No, it’s not any sort of hallucination either.”

        “That’s exactly what a hallucination would say,” I pointed out, my mind buzzing with too many thoughts to thoroughly contemplate what I was saying. 

        Dakota appeared to think about this for a minute. “Yeah, I guess that’s true.” There was a pause, and Dakota grinned wildly at me. “But it still happened and it was great.” 

        I couldn’t help the laugh slipping past my lips. “I won’t argue with that.” 

        All was silent once more, and I could feel the air grow thicker again. We were both leaning in once more, when the bell rang, scaring both of us shitless. We jumped apart at the loud noise, Dakota now against the teacher’s desk. 

        We saw students as they passed the door, and we shared a glance. 

        “We should probably go..” Dakota trailed. 

      I nodded my agreement. “Yeah. Now would be best because we’ll blend in.” This time he nodded, and we both walked towards the door, sharing one last glance before slinking out of the room into the crowd of students. 

        We went our separate ways and I went back to my locker to grab my things for my next class. 

        Throughout the rest of the class, I couldn’t stop my smile at the through of the moment Dakota and I shared. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I couldn’t help but hope this wouldn’t make this awkward for us. 

        I was glad that lunch was after this class, and I could see Dakota again. I felt my entire body brimming with energy at the thought of spending time with him. 

        This was a feeling I rarely felt anymore. It was exhilarating. 

        I was counting down the seconds until the bell rang, practically sprinting out of there as soon as it did. I quickly shoved my things into my locker, making my way to the cafeteria straight afterwards. 

        “Damn girl, I saw you running down the halls like a madwoman. What’s the rush?” Red asked me when she sat down. 

        I shrugged, giving her a lame excuse. “I was really hungry?” We both knew that wasn’t it, but she just gave me a suspicious glance before opening her lunch. 

        Dakota came soon after, accompanied by Nick and Ollie. They looked like they were arguing and my smile faded. Dakota was glaring at the pair, while Nick shook his head and Ollie gave him a quick response. Dakota looked as if he shouted something, which ended up with Nick and Ollie yelling back. With all the cafeteria noise and the distance they were at, I couldn’t hear a word they said.

        Their conversation came to a stop as soon as they reached the table.

        Dakota angrily slammed his tray on the table, looking as if he wanted to murder his food. Nick rolled his eyes, before giving Red and I a smile. You could tell he was faking it though, it didn’t quite reach his eyes. 

        Ollie was quiet however, lost deep in thought. 

       Geez, what’s with you guys? You’re all acting like the complete opposite of what you’re normally like,” Red commented, using her fork to gesture to the three boys. 

        “It’s nothing, just a few things were said that we didn’t really agree on,” Nick replied. Then he started eating, indicating that the conversation was over. 

        Halfway through lunch and Dakota still looked miserable. I felt obligated to try and make him feel better. 

        “Dakota? Can I talk to you out in the hall?” I asked meekly, hoping he wouldn’t say no. 

        However, he nodded, standing up. I followed him out into the hall, where he promptly slammed his fist into the locker. 

        “God dammit they make me so mad sometimes!” he growled out, gray eyes ablaze. I leaned against the locker, my arms folded. 

        “What happened?” 

        I saw Dakota recompose himself, rubbing his hands on his face tiredly. “They keep telling me that I need to go get help, but I’m fine. Really, it was a one-time slip up and it won’t happen again. Yet they keep pushing me and I hate it.”

          “Help with what?” Dakota’s behavior had my curiosity piqued. 

        His lips thinned into a line and he shook his head. “I don’t want to talk about it.” He then turned around and walked back into the cafeteria, leaving me more than slightly annoyed. This has been happening way too many times lately. 

        He knew what my problem was, so why couldn’t he tell me what was wrong with him?

        I decided that I’d go to his place this afternoon and make him talk to me about it. Clearly whatever it was bothered him to no end, as well as jeopardize the healthy relationship he had with his brother and brother’s boyfriend. 

        So since he’s helped me so many times, I guess it was my turn to repay him.

.

.

.

okay, -really- short i know. but this is necessary in order to lead up to the big scene. and the big scene means that this story is almost over. like 1 more chapter and an epilogue. that means i'll have written 2 completed books and i never thought that would happen... omf thank you guys so much, you guys are the whole reason i keep writing <3