Love

Fourth period. Science, John's least favorite class. It didn't help that he was feeling sick, all dizzy and nauseous, and his forearm hurt. It was all burn-y and itch-y and he didn't know what was going on. He gripped onto his arm, mumbling a quiet 'what the fuck' under his breath. His science partner, Maria Lewis, placed her manicured hand on his shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"I don't know," John replied, peeling back his grey jackets' sleeve. He closed his eyes, afraid of what he might see. He heard Maria gasp. "Wh... what?"

"John," she said cautiously, "I think you should look at your arm." John opened his eyes slightly and peered down at his arm.

John's eyes widened. There it was. His soulmate. But what it said.... well... Written in hasty, messy black pen were the words 'Fuck You.' John chuckled a bit. Then a bit more. Then he was full out laughing, quietly of course as he was still in class. Then he was crying.

"Oh, sweetie," Maria mumbled, hugging John as hot tears streamed down his face. Choked sobs escaped his throat. The teacher noticed.

"Okay class, now we are going to be watching a video. Plug in your earbuds and go onto your gmail, please." Mr. Seabury walked to the back of the class, where John and Maria were sitting. "Miss. Lewis," he whispered, catching Maria's attention, "please take Mr. Laurens to the nurse."

Maria nodded, and helped John up. John hated feeling so weak. But how else was he supposed to feel? His soulmate.... no. He didn't have a soulmate. He had a person who wanted nothing to do with him. Which wasn't new for him. His father was right, he was unloveable.

Maria steered John towards the nurses office, and John was just thankful for the girl at his side. "I... I'm sorry, Mari. You shouldn't have to... to deal with.. with this. With.. m... me."

"John Laurens!" Maria scolded. "You are worth it. You are handsome and strong, remember that," she announced. John just nodded meekly. The tears had stopped, but the ache in his heart hadn't left. He took deep breaths, trying to calm down. "The nurses' office is right here, sweetie," Maria cooed.

John went home early.

Let's just say, Peggy was pissed. As was Hercules. "Ha! They think they can fucking break your heart like that? No no no! They got something coming for them!" she grumbled.

"Peggy," Hercules shook his head. Peggy sighed and took a deep breath, closing her eyes.

"Sorry," she quietly said to John. She wrapped her arms around him. John forced a smile, which was, sadly, easy for him to do.

"It's okay," he said, his voice cracking a bit. Hercules joined the hug and that was when John snapped. He started sobbing again, all while feeling useless and vulnerable.

"John... John sweetie, it's okay," Peggy cooed. John shook his head.

"Why did I think anyone would actually want me? My fucking soulmate doesn't even love me!" he sobbed.

"We love you," Peggy said. Hercules nodded his head vigorously.

"Platonically," John pointed out, wiping the tears out of his eyes.

"Still," Herc mumbled. "love is love."