Sleep Over

"Sooo," Peggy started, trying to break up the awkward silence that had settled between the two. "John has never been so polite to someone before."

"Does that mean he hates me?"

"No! No," Peggy chuckled. "That means he likes you." She saw Alexander's cheeks flush at that. "Okay, I know you like John and whatever, but... like your still dating my sister? So like... don't hurt her."

"You're the one who wants to help me get with John?" Peggy shrugged.

"Ya' got me there," she sighed. As soon as she stopped at a stop light, she took her hands off of the steering wheel and pulled out a pack of cigarettes. and a lighter. "Don't tell my sisters," she warned, staring straight at Alex as she lit the cigarette and placed it in her mouth.

"Cigarettes kill," Alex pointed out.

"Thats the point," Peggy grumbled. "This world has gone to shit, I don't want to be here to see its downfall." She noticed Alexander move around in his seat uncomfortably. She laughed a bit, smoke pouring out of her mouth. "Sorry, got a little deep there."

"No... Its just... my dad used to smoke. And now whenever I smell it I can't... breathe?"

"Oh shit, sorry," Peggy mumbled, tossing the cigarette butt in a half empty water bottle. "Now... you never really told me where your house was?"

•••

Peggy hates Mondays. Well, she's pretty sure everyone does but she has a special hatred for them. She doesn't know why, she just feels like something... bad is going to happen. "Hi Alex!" she said, smiling. Alexander jumped and turned around, staring at her with wide eyes. Peggy laughed. "What? I thought we were friends now...?" A sinking feeling settled in her stomach. She didn't want to admit it, but she always wanted to hang out with her sisters at school (don't tell Herc or John). This was her chance! But, by the looks of it, she once again miss read social cues. "Oh... sorry," she said awkwardly, rubbing the back of her neck.

"No! Of course we are, you just scared me," Alexander laughed. Peggy nodded.

"Good. So, what do you have first period?"

"Math."

"Aw, I have history. Speaking of history..." Peggy started waving her arms about, calling over her two other friends. "John, Herc! Over here!" John and Hercules ran over to Peggy.

"Oh, uh... hi Alex," John mumbled. He turned and looked at Peggy, excitement radiating off of his body. "Guess what?!"

"What?" Peggy asked.

"We think—"

"We think we know who my soulmate is!" Hercules interrupted, even more excited than John.

"Holy fuck! Who?" she asked, glancing over at Alexander who had a big smile on his face. Soulmates are a big deal. Finding out who your soulmate is, even if its just a guess, makes everyone smile. Unless... well, unless your soulmate is a total asshole.

"This kid named Lafayette-"

"Wait," Alexander interrupted, "Lafayette?" Herc nodded. "As in... Marquis de Lafayette?"

"Yeeeeah...?" Hercules said, confusion clear on his face. "Why, do you know him?"

"He is literally my best friend."

"Holy shit!" John cried. "Well, what are we waiting for? Lets go find this guy!"

"We have, like, two minutes until first," Peggy sighed.

"So?" Alex said. "I know where he hangs out. Lets go!"

"You." John said, pointing to Alex. "I like your style." Alex cheeks flushed. Peggy smiled slightly. Damn, for it being a Monday Peggy was in a good mood.