Chapter 6

Ponyboy's P.O.V

I stood there, gazing over A.J, when Johnny woke up. I hadn't noticed though, I was too busy watching this beautiful girl sleep. Her long hair draped over her shoulder perfectly and I suddenly noticed that she had freckles dappled on her nose like small flowers on a grassy hill. At that moment, Johnny rapped his finger on my shoulder and I quickly turned around, surprised to see 'im there.

"Glory, Johnny! Scare me to death!" I said and hit him playfully on the arm.

Johnny grinned and nodded toward A.J.

"What'cha lookin' at her for." He asked, cocking an eyebrow just like Two-bit Matthews, one of our gang.

My cheeks turned bright red as I stepped back a bit. I don't use my head! I chided myself. I've gotta use my head or A.J'll find out that I like her and hate me or yell at me or something. I wasn't feeling so hot anymore and Johnny took to noticing, telling me to calm down as he patted my shoulder. Once I was calm, Johnny asked me if I was crushin' on her and hurriedly my hand clamped over his mouth trying shut him up, not feeling so hot again.

"Don't talk so loud!" I scolded him quietly so not to wake up A.J.

"Why don't you just tell 'er?" Johnny asked and I considered this for minute.

"No." I replied flatly.

Johnny rolled his eyes and smirked. He started out the door.

"Where are you going?" I asked, walking up behind him.

"Getting supplies." Johnny replied as he went out the back.

I started coming out with before he stopped me.

"Ain't 'cha gonna stay with A.J?" He asked, nodding toward A.J again.

I shook my head but thought about not telling her where were going. I turned around and wrote in the dirt, A.J- We went to get supplies - P.C and J.C. After finishing, I stood and me and Johnny left the church and A.J. I was in my thoughts while on the way to the store. I was thinking about what would happen if I told A.J how I felt. Either she would tell me to buzz off... or love me back.

"Probably tell me to buzz off." I said aloud.

"Huh?" Johnny questioned.

"Nothing just thinking about... Nothing." I replied.

"Thinking about A.J?" Johnny asked, playfully.

I rolled my eyes and we finally got to the the store but I was still in my head. Johnny told me that I should stay outside and he'll get the stuff with the $50 Dally had gave him. I nodded and he went inside as I thought of ways to tell A.J. Boy howdy. I thought. I reckon this is gonna be hard.

A.J's P.O.V

I was dreaming about my family, Mom, Dad and Oliver, when I felt weirdly alone all of a sudden. So I woke up, sitting up in the old dusty pew, and glanced around. I was really alone..

"Ponyboy? Johnny?" I called and only the echos in the old church replied with, onyboy onyboy and onny onny, which scared me something awful as I sat there in the pews.

I vaguely wonder where they had went when I perceived writing in the dirt, no doubt Pony's or Johnny's. They apparently left me to get supplies but I wasn't so mad at 'em, I mean I was I mad at them but not so much. I yawned once or twice and stood up, slackly. Dally had said there was a water pump in the back so stood and went out to the back. I wet my face and wiped it with the sleeve of Dally's leather jacket. The water was icy and a shiver flowed down my spine in cold waves. Voices were coming from the around the corner of the old church and in a split second, I froze. Thinking fast I ran over to an open cellar door and hid there. The voice grew louder and more familiar. It was Ponyboy and Johnny! I exclaimed in my head. I hurriedly got up from cellar opening, trippin' up a little but I didn't fall, and smiled at them

"Hey, you two, what'd ya get?" I asked, impatiently.

"Come on inside a we'll show you." Johnny said, then he nudged Ponyboy before heading inside.

I started to go inside when Ponyboy grabbed my wrist and pulled me back, he was grabbing the wrist with my watch on it so I quickly pulled away. I sure hoped he hadn't noticed what he was grabbing. The area above my upper lip began to sweat and I quickly wiped at it. I was nervous. Boy howdy, I reckon this would be the best time to tell him. I thought. I was sounding more corn-pony than ever, I guess I was around these two too long.

"Yeah?" I asked, my heart pumping a bit too fast.

He let go of my arm and shoved his hands deep in his pockets and a red film grew brightly on his cheeks.

"I wanted ask you something'." Pony said.

"Go 'head." I said, although I was hoping he wouldn't .

Ponyboy gave a rather long breath and started up his question.

"What's that thing on you-" but he was interrupted by Johnny who was calling us inside.

Ponyboy sighed and took out a pack of cigarettes, placing one in his mouth and he handed me one. I forgot to tell him that I don't smoke but I took it anyway so not to be rude, but I shoved it into one of the pockets in Dally's leather jacket. We both went inside and we watched Johnny take out item after item until we got impatient and started take out the stuff in the box ourselves. Ponyboy held up a medium sized bottle and took a whiff of it, then slowly read the label.

"Peroxide...? A deck of cards...."

Suddenly I realized something.

"Johnny," I said slowly. "You ain't thinkin' of..."

"We gotta cut our hair you guys." Johnny said hurridly.

Me and Ponyboy stared at each other then, like a jinx, we protectively put a hand on out heads and said at the same time, 'No siree, you ain't touching my hair!!' Johnny tried to reason with us.

"Com'n you guys, they got our descriptions in the paper. We can't fit em'." He said.

"They don't got mine!" I said protectively.

"They sure do!" Ponyboy said as he reached his hand into the box which carried the supplies.

A newspaper was in his hands as if by magic and he read the heading, slowly. The words, which were in big bold letters, read, THREE KID MAN-SLAUGHTERS! And the descriptions were so plainly accurate that it made my head spin just lookin' at them. I quickly snatched the paper and read my description. Yup. I thought as I hung my head. The whole three yards... It was probably that kid who saw me before getting into his car! The guy was wearing some old bleach- white sweater and a semi- beetle hair cut. I scowled and handed Ponyboy back the newspaper and looked over at Johnny.

"Fine. But first you gotta tell me what you're gonna do."