Chapter 17

Dally stopped the car with a jerk and hopped out. He told me to sit still and don't get out. I did as he told me but my heart rate quickened and I felt my body shake. I stared out the window and the things I saw were so terrible, that I almost screamed. Sure, I knew what a rumble was but this was not at all want I expected. I saw Ponyboy's face get punched and it looked as if he couldn't get up. Oh glory... I thought as my whole body tensed. i had to avert my gaze from this fight. Then, I remembered that Gone With The Wind was still clutched to my chest, so I set it on my lap and took out the note inside. I only stared at the front of the note, where it said For Ponyboy.  Shouts echoed in the  night and I nearly jumped out of my skin.  The only way I wouldn't be able to see the rumble, I'd have to switch to the back seat so I did. The fight went on for what felt like forever and then, the door to the T-bird swung open and Dally jumped in. Ponyboy was sitting in the passenger seat and he looked real bad. Blood dripped down from his nose onto his shirt, his eyes were closed but black. 

"Pony, Pony are you aright?" I asked.

Ponyboy didn't answer so I slipped back in to the backseat as Dally ranted to Ponyboy.  Sirens filled the air and I turned to see a police motorcycle.

"Great, just great." Dally muttered under his breath.

The cop rounded the car to the driver seat and glared at Dally. Dally's face was bruised but was far in better condition then Ponyboy's was. Guess the officer thought something awful of Dallas from the state of his face. 

"Alright, where's the fire?" The cop said bitingly.

"The kid." Dally said as he jerked his thumb at Pony. "He fell off his motorcycle and I'm taking him to the hospital."

The cop's expression changed suddenly as he look over at Ponyboy, who's eyes were closed. The cop seemed to believe Dally and nodded his head.

"Follow me." He said and rode off in the direction of the hospital.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we got to the hospital, we quickly entered Johnny's room and, boy, I had to close my eyes because his state was worse then I bet all the Socs were. Johnny's face was whiter than the pillow he was lying on. Dally bent down at the bed side and whispered to Johnny as me and Pony took his other side. 

"We beat the Socs, man. Right outta our neighborhood." 

Johnny grumbled under his breath.

"Fighting's useless." He said. 

He called for Ponyboy and slowly bent down to Johnny's level, his hands were shaking wildly but we didn't have any cigarettes. Johnny's lips met Pony's left ear and slowly, words went into it.

"S-stay gold, P-Ponyboy..." He whimpered, taking a last breath.

Johnny died.

My heart stopped as if I were taking that same last breath. Tear flooded my eyes deeply as I tired not to cry. No.. no, no, no! I thought endlessly. My breath caught in my throat and it was getting hard to breath. Don't cry, don't cry. I forced myself not to. Dally wasn't so successful, though.  He stood and slammed a fist into the wall harshly.

"Bastered." He cursed as I winced.

He left hastily. I wish I could follow but I could see any paths before me. I took Ponyboy's hand  and he glanced  up at me, shock and sadness written all over his face.

"Come on." I whispered. "Let's go find Dally."

He nodded and followed.

------------------------------------------

We didn't have any luck looking for Dally. We checked everywhere and now we were standing in the middle of the sidewalk, seeing if we could find a sign of Dallas. Ponyboy traveled a little ways into the street but I pulled him back in time before some car killed him. Finally, I gave up and sat, shoulders slumped, onto a nearby bench. Pony sat down next to me and sighed. I looked into his beautiful greenish-gray eyes.

"Where'd you think Dal went?" I asked.

Ponyboy shrugged helplessly. He opened his mouth but closed it, as if what he said didn't sound right. Finally he asked,

"Can I ask you something?" Ponyboy asked, actually leaning in as if it were a secret.

"Shoot, Ponyboy. You can ask anything." I replied but I felt like my heart wasn't in it.

"Would it be a little over due if I asked..." He paused before saying, "You wanna be my girl?"

I jumped and a smile widened on my face.

"Of course I will!" I shouted.

Ponyboy smiled. And as he did, he slowly leaned closer to my face and his eyes closed. When our lips connected, I felt him wrapped his arms around my waist and I put my arms around his neck, breathing in his scent. His soft tongue raked against my lips but I didn't let him in. Not yet anyway. Not when the night was full of sadness. We stayed this way for a long time but when we parted for air, we locked our lips back together and continued. Glory, if I still had my watch right now, I'd rewind and played this kiss over and over again until I was through. And if this night wasn't so bleak, I'd enjoy this kiss even more. Finally, we parted completely but e were still wrapped around each other, as if we were stuck like this. Ponyboy's eyes glowed and he leaned in for more. The night grew colder as we pulled away and stood. Maybe this sadness was my imagination, maybe not. But I knew, no night could be better than this one.