Chapter 1

The Frigate:

"Cortana, tell the general to send in The Rookie," Captain Keyes commanded, from the control room. Cortana is a cybernetic hologram, which allows her to work on computers, networks, communications and locator's. Cortana was able to choose her own Spartan she wanted to work with. At the end she chose Spartan 117, known as Master Chief.

She watched him become the soldier they needed him to be. His affiliation in the UNSC Navy, rank Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy. She chose Master Chief for being strong, smart, swift and brave. She only saw one thing no one else had seen in him and that was, luck. After the Master Chief went missing after the Battle of Installation 00, Cortana served in the command ship.

"Right away sir," Cortana responded while fading away on the hologram stand. She quickly drives through the circuits and grids until she reaches her destination. She slowly forms to her hologram figure. The general stands by the glass windows, looking down at the war infested earth. His eyes are filled with horrifying images he had witnessed in battle.

"General, Captain Keyes wants you to send in The Rookie down to control," Cortana spoke, following her orders. The general turns around facing Cortana. He gives a salute.

"I'll have him down right away. Tell me, what the Captain wants with a rookie?" he asks, looking down at Cortana. She takes a moment to think, placing a hand under her chin. Cortana was also able to process information, think and decide on her own.

"I have no say to why he is needed, but I assure you he has put thought into it," she says, while slowly fading away after. With a sigh the general walks out of the room and heads for the ODST training center. There were only four ODST on the ship. Most were deployed and have been captured, killed, or still alive hiding somewhere.

The training center consisted of a shooting range, explosive drills, weapon cleaning, hand to hand combat center and the necessary work out equipment. Such as weights, tread mills, and more. Down in the hand to hand combat the ODST known as the "Rookie" was training with an officer. The general had no need to talk with others and just do his orders. While two of them watched him walk in, which was rare, he walked down to the center and stood on the side watching their training. After a moment the officer noticed they were being watched and surrendered in the training.

"Ha! That's right, your skills aren't as good as mine," the Rookie says, while pinning the officer down. He didn't notice he was being watched. The officer waved his hand pointing out the general was right there. The Rookie then noticed and quickly stood up while helping the officer up. They both gave the general a salute.

The Rookie was in his ODST armor not wearing his helmet. Standing up right he appeared to be taller and stronger. Still flexible to do anything he needs to do, an advantage of the armor.

"The Captain needs you down at control," the general commanded. The Rookie nodded at his orders. He turned around and picked up his helmet on the side.

"Yes sir, heading off now," he said, with a salute and walked out of the training center. As he walked down to control, he also saw many officers and marines in their command. He felt proud to be an ODST, he stood tall and continued walking down. The well-lit hall of the frigate. Once he arrived at the control center; he saluted Captain Keyes and followed him down to the strategy room. In there he was met by Cortana standing on a hologram of the battle field. Captain Keys stood on the long end on the other side of the hologram. The Rookie stood across from him with a questioning look.

"I have asked you to come here for a mission," Captain Keyes started. The Rookie took a quick glance at Cortana who was watching them both.

"What kind of mission, may I ask Captain," The Rookie questioned. Captain Keys took a moment to analyze the hologram.

"We sent a team of ODST soldiers down in the city. After a while from landing there were reports of covenant scouts there. Some soldiers were lost and some were said to be hidden," Captain Keyes responds, while pointing at the area of deployment. The Rookie gives a nod of understanding. He'd only been in a couple battles on earth, but he was still in training. He was unsure because this would be his first solo mission. There was no doubt in him, as an ODST he is trained to take on any mission without question.

"So, my mission is to find the other ODST?" he asked, understanding what he was supposed to do. Cortana stepped forward zooming in on the battle field.

"You are to find the other ODST that are still alive and in addition try to hold the covenant," Cortana spoke while the hologram of the battle field showed some covenant troops scattered around. The Rookie studied the battle grounds carefully.

"Do you accept your mission?" Captain Keys asked. Taking his helmet from under his arm, the Rookie looked at Captain Keyes. He slowly put on the helmet while a small stream of blue light covered his visor. Standing tall, and raising his right hand to the side of his helmet; The Rookie gave the Captain a salute.

"I accept my mission, sir!"