chapter 6.

A/N: happy holidays!!! I just had to post something today for y'all, hope you enjoy :) x

aurora

"You go first, Ror," Harry instructed, kneeling on one knee and cupping both of his hands so that I could get a boost.  I quickly accepted the help and was able to get high enough to swing myself over the open window, hastily landing on my feet on the other side.

"Okay, your turn, Harry, hurry the fuck up," Connor rushed, practically shoving Harry out of the restaurant.

Harry stumbled over the window, clumsily falling to the ground.  I grabbed his hand and tugged him to his feet as Connor cleanly vaulted over the ledge.  Shots started firing in our direction once more as we began running towards the car.  We were almost there when I tripped up and fell, the impact scraping up my knee.  This allowed the strangers to aim more precisely at me, and I soon heard a gunshot that was followed by a searing hot pain that ran through my calf.  I didn't have to look to know that they hadn't missed that time.

I cried out as I grabbed at my leg.  I forgot about all the bullets flying around.  I even forgot that I was lying out in the middle of a McDonald's parking lot surrounded by people who were trying to kill me in the middle of the Purge.  All I could think about was that I had been shot and how much much it hurt.  I closed my eyes tightly and tried to block out the agonizing pain.

"I've got you," someone consoled me as they expeditiously lifted me in their arms.  I opened my eyes to see Connor, which slightly surprised me.  I wondered for a moment why Harry hadn't gotten me, but figured Connor was both stronger and quicker than Harry.

We got to the vehicle and Harry opened the door, allowing Connor to carefully yet promptly lay me down on the backseat.  Harry slid in next to me and shut the door as Connor hopped into the drivers seat, starting the car.  I covered my ears as the sound of glass shattering pierced my eardrum, bullets hitting the back windshield.  Some of the glass fell on Harry and I as it broke, giving us a couple of cuts. 

"Goddammit, Connor, get us out of here!" Harry shouted.  He wrapped his arms around me and forced my head into his lap, protecting me from the sharp debris and any other stray bullets.

"Fuck off, I'm going as fast as I can!" Connor yelled back, slamming his foot down on the gas pedal.  The engine roared as we sped out of the parking lot and away from the purgers.  One of the guys had tried shooting at our back tires, but luckily they missed.  Otherwise we would have all been dead.

"Harry, it hurts so bad," I whimpered, blinking away tears that were forming in my eyes.  The burning was worse now than before.  I looked down at the wound to see red patches of blood surrounding the injury and drenching the backseat.  Both of my hands were covered in the liquid, and the more I stared at it the more nauseous I became.  I felt like I was going to faint.

Harry shakily grabbed my face in his hands, "Don't look at it, okay?  It's not as bad as it looks.  You're going to be just fine."  He was clearly just as terrified as I was, but was trying to keep his composure for me.  "I just need to keep pressure on it and wrap your leg with something."

"There should be a towel back there somewhere with you guys, you can use that," Connor butted in, not taking his eyes off of the road.

"Yeah, that should work." Harry briefly glanced around the backseat and quickly found the towel that Connor was talking about lying at his feet.  He reached for it and used it to make a tourniquet.  I winced as he made a tight knot with it around my bullet wound.  "See?  That's all we needed to do."

"But we still need to take the bullet out," I argued.  "And I need stitches."

"We need a medical professional to do that, baby.  And we can't go to the hospital until the Purge is over.  But I promise that that is the first thing we will do when those sirens go off and signal the end of this fuckery, alright?" He reached for my cold hands and intertwined them with his.  He brought them to his face and gently kissed my bloody knuckles.

I took a deep breath, my heart rate slowing back to normal.  "Okay.  I love you."

"I love you, too," he murmured, leaning in to kiss my forehead. 

When he pulled away, tears were brimming in his eyes.  I furrowed my eyebrows, confused and worried. Had he been shot, too? "Harry, what's wrong?  Are you hurt?"

He chuckled softly, a tear rolling down his cheek.  He shook his head and stroked my face with his thumb.  "No, I'm not hurt.  I just, I thought I was going to lose you.  You could have gotten shot in someplace so much worse.  He could have hit a vital organ or an artery or—"

"But he didn't," I cut him off, not wanting to hear any more of what he had to say. It would only send me into another panic attack, and I didn't need one of those right now. "I'm okay and I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. We're going to get out of this alive, Harry. Just like you said. The both of us."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Connor made a gagging noise from up front in the drivers seat, giving Harry and I a funny look in the rearview mirror. "Do you guys really have to be so dramatic and cheesy?"

"Do you really have to ruin the moment?" I mocked. Harry just rolled his eyes at him.