scared

"I don't have much. Just a frozen one." He said, digging through his fridge. His brows furrowed down in concentration.

"Sorry for bothering you." I apologized, I felt bad asking for food. But I was a mess and I needed something to eat besides a salad with expired dressing.

"It's alright. That's what neighbors are for. Right?" I was too scared to be friends. So for now, we were just neighbors. Nothing more.

"Bingo!" He pulled out the frozen chicken. At some point, it had been a frolicking animal. Now it was hidden at the back of a British man's fridge.

"Thank you. You saved my life".

Literally.

But he didn't have to know that I wasn't joking.
He chuckled, closing the fridge door. He'd pinned a couple photos to his fridge in the short period of time that I'd been gone. Him and what looked like his sister—or his friend at her graduation. And another of him and his Mom. They looked alike.

I wished that I had photos like that.

"Well, thanks again. I have to..um..go now. Nice photos."

That was quite possibly the most awkward goodbye ever.

I stepped out of the apartment, closing the door behind me and rushing back into the apartment, still clutching the chicken.

-

It was eight-o'clock and Trent still wasn't home. The chicken was done and waiting on the counter. I'd lit a couple fall candles and opened the blinds just a smidge even though the sun had gone down.

The salad bowl rested in the center of the dining table. I felt stupid, but I had somehow expected this. The one day I actually try. He'd come home drunk and order a pizza.

Why couldn't I get drunk like he did? Why couldn't I down my sorrows in the emptying glass bottle, each regret and feeling exchanged with a strong substance. Because I was a coward, I was too scared.

So as I sat here at the dining table, waiting for Trent to stumble in and throw his coat onto the couch, passing out for an hour and then ordering a cheese pizza from the pizza place a block away, I realized that I was scared. Not just of Trent or of Harry, but of what I was becoming.

A rag doll.

-

American hotline for domestic abuse:1-800-799-SAFE (7233).

Website link for more information and numbers:
http://www.thehotline.org

Watch these:
https://youtu.be/WL3rfk2iFww
https://youtu.be/hhHdIhfK7LQ
https://youtu.be/5Z_zWIVRIWk

-
Hello!
Sorry for such a short chapter! I felt like it was right to end it where I ended it. The next chapter will be WAY more interesting. I'm just trying to build up to the important stuff.

Thanks for all of your support! 💜

-Brisa