dogs or cats

When I was fifteen, I went through a stage where I fought with my parents and sister about every little thing. I would charge out of dinner, throwing my napkin onto my plate which held half-eaten food and running to the bathroom to stare at myself in the mirror and wonder why I wasn't allowed to live my own life.

This was before Trent, and I was only one person in a crowd of hundreds in my high school. I hung out alone most of the time, and I was one of the only people to join band. It wasn't because I was angry, it wasn't because I was a nuisance or annoying to be around. It was because I was looking for the perfect person, a friend or possibly a boyfriend that would be perfect for me. I never realized that in order to find your perfect person, you needed to go through many imperfect and flawed ones first.

I always thought that Trent would be the only person I needed in my life. Because he was my perfect person, and I didn't need any more than that.

Today, as I stand less than a foot away from my sister, in a pink bridesmaids dress, holding a bouquet. I realize finally, that I do need more than just one person. I need my sister, and I need Harry.

Amara stares into the eyes of the man that she loves, ready to utter two words that pronounce forever love; "I do.". And I stand beside her, searching the seats for someone that I try to push away. But just won't leave, and I guess that's good. Because it means that he won't give up on me.

As soon as I find him, his messy hair that looks so good on him, I couldn't picture him any other way, and his off-white suit and blue button-down underneath, a style that only he could pull off. I shoot a smile in his direction and he shoots me a bigger one back.

He mouths something that I can't quite catch. I assume it's a comment on the wedding, but I'm not sure.

I look away from him when I hear Josh say 'I do'. I look up at Amara, and I look at Josh, who's eyes were nowhere but lost in hers. And she says 'I do'. And then they kiss.

-

All the guests had bustled out to the reception, which was bound to run until late at night. I had snatched my dress off of the chair and slipped it over my head, making sure not to mess up my hair. The dress wasn't as beautiful as Isla's, or as Amara's, but I liked it. It was me.

We'd all rushed out to the outdoor reception area where the guests had assembled, and they had all cheered when Amara stepped in. I spotted Harry, clapping along with all of the other guests.

The slower sounds would play towards the end of the night, so for now, it was upbeat songs that Harry would surely drag me to the dance floor to dance to.

So almost immediately, a song that both Amara and I loved, by an artist that I loved so much,
came on. Amara shimmied to the dance floor with Josh while Isla danced around with her date.

I felt a tug on my hand, Harry was trying to pull me to the dance floor. I shook my head, I was happy just sitting at my table, sipping on some champagne.

"Come on! For me?" A simple pout pushed me to get up and let loose for a moment. He'd always get his way with that pout.

*Velvet Elvis - Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour*

"Fine." I didn't really know how to dance, but Harry obviously did. In a strange way.

He danced like a crazy person, to a song that wasn't even that upbeat. But it made me giggle, so I followed what he did until I started to get the hang of it. Harry twirled me around, I laughed because I was happy and because I was with Harry.

When the song ended, I smiled up at Harry and we returned to our seats. What was crazy, was that I didn't even know Harry that well. I didn't even know what he did for a living. But then again, he'd just loved it so maybe he didn't even have a job yet.

"So, tell me about yourself." I leaned my chin on my elbow and waited for a response, even a favorite color would be nice to know.

"Well, as you can tell, I was born in England. I grew up in a small town called Holmes Chapel. My parents divorced, my Mum re-married and I have an older sister named Gemma,"

"Hmm. Interesting. Cat person or dog person?" I joked.

"Cat person." I fake frowned and shook my head before taking a sip of the bubbly champagne.

"See, that's a dealbreaker because I'm a dog person." I laughed, and winked at him, setting my glass down on the table.

"I write music, I sing, I play instruments and my favorite color is either orange or blue

"I write music, I sing, I play instruments and my favorite color is either orange or blue. Can't decide." I realized that soon, I'd have to explain my past and myself to him.

"What about you, Mara?" I tried to gather the littlest information about myself possible and push it all into a life story.

"Well, I was born in Charleston, South Carolina. Amara, my parents and I lived there for a while until my dad decided that there were no good jobs in a beach-town that was always filled with tourists so we moved out to Charlotte. Amara stayed there after high school and I moved straight to McAdenville with Trent right after high school. So we were..um..we were high school sweethearts."
I was proud of myself. It sounded decent, I hadn't made any of it up. Just left a lot out.

Harry studied my face and I blushed again, not even the champagne could hide the fact that I wasn't telling the truth. He knew I wasn't telling the full story.

"Well, shall we dance again Mara?" I was going to decline, but I only had one life to live.

"Why the fuck not?"

-

American hotline for domestic abuse:1-800-799-SAFE (7233).

Website link for more information and numbers:
http://www.thehotline.org

Watch these:
https://youtu.be/WL3rfk2iFww
https://youtu.be/hhHdIhfK7LQ
https://youtu.be/5Z_zWIVRIWk

-

Hello again! I'm planning on doing a double-update soon where one chapter is in Harry's POV and the other is in Marielle's!