roadtrip

I've been on the road for three and a half hours now, my bags sit in the backseat of this tiny car and my sunglasses sit on the tip of my nose. I'm driving through small mountain towns at the moment, have been since I left McCadenville to be honest. I'm driving to South Carolina. To lounge on the beach, to take in the salty sea air, and to stare at the clouds for as long as I'd like.

It turned out to be a sunny day today which was suiting for the feeling of freedom that I have now. My head still hurts though, I don't think it ever left—I just think that the distractions had numbed the feeling.

I had left my phone at the apartment, I hadn't even realized until I was about forty-five minutes into the drive. I didn't go back to get it, instead I pulled one of the old GPS's out of the centre console and I stuck it to the windshield, navigating solely by that. I didn't care if it was right or wrong, I just needed to get out of that place.

According to the signs, the nearest gas station was half a mile away. I was planning on getting something to eat and an ibuprofen for my killer headache. My fingers tapped on the steering wheel to a song that had been stuck in my head all day. I couldn't quite place my finger on where I'd heard it before.

-

I pull over into the parking lot of the gas station. It's only advertising was a large sign reading 'peanuts - 4.50$' sitting in the grass in front of the practically deserted area.

I pull up to a parking spot and grab my purse, running inside to quickly make my purchases. I spot the Advil almost immediately after entry and grab the first packet in sight. I swing by the snack isle and pick up a bag of peanuts—not the ones that were advertised but a small name-brand packet instead.

I barely make eye-contact with the man behind the counter, only tuning in to listen to the final price and the 'thank you' he mutters when I hand in the six dollars. I thank him and leave the gas station, uneasy by the lack of people.

The car starts up again and I check the estimated amount of time left; it reads seven hours. I almost yawn. It'll all be worth it when I get there.

I pull out of the parking lot and continue driving, this time, I admire the scenery that I wouldn't have been able to witness if I hadn't had the courage to leave. I still only have one person to thank for it.

-

I arrive late at night, my eyes are heavy even when illuminated by the buildings lights. The air smells salty and like I'd always imagined. I hadn't been to the beach since I was a child, even then, we hadn't taken many trips. I missed it even if I didn't quite remember it that well.

I had no phone to research hotels or motels to stay at, so I chose the smallest one that was still on the beach. I smiled to myself at the people dancing in the streets and the families walking home from the boardwalk. I wanted to feel this feeling of happiness every day again.

The streets here were somehow calmer than those in McCadenville. Although Myrtle Beach is a bigger town, there's a much nicer feeling to it. McCadenville was drowned in sorrows and booze. People come here to get away and to experience, that's what it made it feel like a temporary home.

The hotel lights are less illuminated than the others but all that matters to me is that I have somewhere to be.

Somewhere that I want and that wants me.

American hotline for domestic abuse:1-800-799-SAFE (7233).

Website link for more information and numbers:
http://www.thehotline.org

Watch these:
https://youtu.be/WL3rfk2iFww
https://youtu.be/hhHdIhfK7LQ
https://youtu.be/5Z_zWIVRIWk

-