21| Aftermaths & Present

❝And the world hated her, because they couldn't understand the science that made her all, that she was❞

The faint ringing vibrated against my ear, echoing quietly as I fidget with the hem of my loose black dress, patiently waiting for him to pick up

Silence played in the room and birds chirped outside, singing their own symphony. Sitting on the bed comfortably, I glanced at the clock hanging on the wall.

"Hello?" His voice rang from the other line, giving a warm and homely feeling to my cold heart.

"Hey Dad. It's me" I greeted faintly.

"How much money do you need?" Just like always, his usual first question popped up.

Rolling my eyes, I spoke "Why in the world would you think that, I would call you for money?"

"That's the thing. my girl! You never call for money, like do you not need it? Are you starving yourself or living on the streets?" He let out dramatically. His fun yet worried tone made me realize just how much I had missed him.

"I already told you, didn't I? I have some money left from my previous job and other than that, my savings. Forget it, tell me how are you?" I asked.

"I am fine. Just counting my last days, wanting to see my daughter one last tim-"

"Dad" I whined childishly at his reply, making him let out a laugh.

"Okay sorry sorry. I am absolutely great, just missing you. What about you, Giggles? How have you been?" He asked fondly.

Giggles was the nickname, my dad gave me when I was really young. Maybe, because I used to giggle a lot and at everything.

Though those giggles and laughter were long gone now, had died years ago, faded away and became a lost memory.

"As always, I am doing fine and I miss you too. What are you doing, anyway?" I muttered coldly, not wanting to talk about myself.

"Seeing that I didn't have much work to do, I decided to bake some pies. Wait, aren't you supposed to be free today? Why don't you come home? It's just like three hours drive" He suggested enthusiastically.

Biting my bottom lip, I let out a sigh and replied "If I could I would, but I am at a friend's house for his sister's birthday. Sorry"

"His? Who is he? Are you alone?" He inquired in his I-am-your-dad-and-I-am-supposed-to-be-strict tone.

I rolled my eyes, taking a strand of my hair and wrapped it around my finger "Just someone I know and no, I am not alone. Everyone is here, my friends that is"

"Is Kate and Maria there too?" He asked again

"Yes Dad. Everyone is here" I let out a sigh, untangling my finger from the hair.