33| Desperation & Peace

❝ If you could read her mind

you'd be in tears❞ 

ETHAN

After my last class was over, I walked out of the room, packed with numerous more students rushing out, joyously talking about some frat party.

Finally, those heart wrenching and mind numbing assignments were done as I massaged my neck, loosening my exhausted bones and dragged myself through the hallway, tiredly.

A yawn escaped my mouth as I tried to stretch my arms a little, when a darting body bumped into me.

"I am so sorry, I was in a hurry. Didn't see you" I instantly recognized those dark locks, when Ericka apologized to me, a red tint painted her cheeks.

"It's all good, don't worry" I shrugged it off with a lazy smile and moved aside, was about to stroll away, when she spoke up "Wait! Ethan?"

I stopped midway and turned around from one side, furrowed my eyebrows, humming "What?" I asked.

She let out a nervous breath, walking up to me as I looked at her, scrutinizing. Then, showing me a big dazzling smile, she said "I wanted to ask you something"

And I have a feeling, it's not going to be good

Nodding unsure, I arched up a brow and urged her "Sure, go on."

"Yeah, well I was thinki-"

My phone started ringing quietly, vibrating against me in my pocket. Giving Erick a sheepish look, I took out my phone and saw Maria's name, shining brightly on the screen.

I looked up at her as she nodded, understanding and excusing myself, I picked up the call, pressing the phone against my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey, you know who it is. I want to ask, have you seen Winter anywhere?" Maria's voice asked, anxiously.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Ericka standing there, looking at me, patiently and waiting. Tiling my head to another direction, I spoke up in a hushed tone "Uh no? Isn't she supposed to be with you girls?"

"She was, dammit! But, it's been an hour and there's no trace of her anywhere near us"

That got my attention and my mind instantly began to run faster than Usain Bolt, thousands of thoughts swirling around. There was an unfamiliar panic, considering, considering what Winter is capable of.

"What do you mean, there's no trace of her?"

Maria's loud groan echoed, before she let out "I don't know, okay? She just disappeared, poof, gone and that's why, I am calling you. Her phone is switched off, so can you look for her? See, if she's at our dorm or gym or anywhere inside or near campus"