Feeling Thankful

Suzi and I finally arrive back at the house and can hear loud music coming from the basement.

"I guess they're rehearsing ?" I assume and we head to the kitchen to pack everything away and start cooking dinner.

I peel the potatoes and prepare the chicken and Suzi does the carrots, sprouts and parsnips. I enjoy cooking a lot and do it quite often at home. I'm an only child and just live with my Mum and so each night we take in turns preparing the meals.

"So what are your plans for when you go back home?" Suzi asks, chopping a carrot.

"Well, I've just finished uni and have always wanted to do writing. But I also want to continue travelling for a while before I settle with anything." I explain.

"Oh that's interesting , you could always do travel writing because then you're doing two things you love to do!" She suggests.

"That's a great idea, I'll definitely consider that !"

"Oh hello, when did you both get back" I turn to see David at the top of the stairs, followed by Mick. David comes over and kisses the top of my head and then rests his hands on my shoulders.

"We got back a while ago but thought we'd leave you to, to it. Dinner will be ready soon so you could lay the table ?" I ask and they both nod and clear away the miscellaneous items of the table.

"Wow it looks great actually, looks like Suzi has some competition eh ?" Mick winks at me after peering into the cooker and I laugh.

"Well I have to admit she is good, but we'll have to see how those potatoes turn out" Suzi chuckles.

_____________________________________

10 minutes later:

The timer rings, indicating that everything is cooked and we begin to lay out the food onto the plates. I'm quite a fussy eater and it turns out David is too, as whilst I'm serving up the plates, he stands over my shoulder bossily telling me what and what not to add. I laugh at how adorable he is and eventually get him to sit back down.

I sit next to David and Suzi and we all tuck in.

"This really is so great, well done both of you" David says and I smile and kiss his cheek back softly.

It does taste delicious and I have to admit I didn't realise I could cook that well. My mum is normally happy with anything I cook even if it's burnt to the crisp but at least now I know I'm good at it!

Over dinner we discuss all sorts, music , tomorrow's plans and the latest news on the new album. The band as well as Suzi are all heading to France next week for a fortnight and I can't help but feel slightly jealous as they discuss it at the table. Of course I love hearing about it and don't want to not but apart of me , I guess, really wants to come too. I don't even think it's because of the album and being apart of hearing it, or having a new experience. I just feel like I don't want this trip to end - I want to continue this adventure and continue being spontaneous. But most of all, I don't want to leave David after so little time.

Suddenly Mick interrupts my thoughts, "Did you read the paper today? One mentioned a rumour about the band beginning to record the new album somewhere in Germany next week." He laughs.

"I thought you were going to France?" I say confused.

"Yeah we are, looks like they got it wrong again. Too bad for the German fans when they realise we're in a completely differently country" He chuckles.

"Bless them" says Suzi as she takes a sip of wine.

I completely forgot that Mick and David are adored by millions who would do absolutely anything to be in my position, yet I've gotten here through pure luck. And I've been so lucky to be-friend them both, maybe even fall for one.

It seems that since I've been staying here in London, I've changed so much and become someone inside me who I didn't know existed; someone more confident and eager to challenge myself. I've only spent a short time here but it's been super different to what my life at home is like. I haven't had to follow rules or constantly be trying to please people like I've had to do in the past, at college or uni. And I'm so thankful for it all because nothing like this will probably ever happen again.

We finally finish dinner and that's when I hear a ring from a telephone coming from my room, so I quickly excuse myself from the table to take the phone call. The person ringing must be looking for me as they rang the separate number from my room , rather than the house phone. Perhaps my Mother ?

I pick up the receiver and as I guessed, I'm greeted to the sweet voice of my Mum. I'm over the moon when I hear her voice, I have begun to miss her slightly and wonder what she's calling for.

"Mum? Hi!" I chirp.

"Hello Darling, how are you doing?"

"I'm doing so great. Mum it's been such an amazing experience coming here and staying with new people ! The sort, unlike what I'd usually go for and I've had a blast. I don't want to leave!" I stop myself before giving away too much.

I still don't want to let her know who I'm staying with, not yet. I wouldn't think that he's her cup of tea especially after the tabloids make him out to be some sort of crazy alien who's different from "normality". It angers me just thinking about it.

"Oh Melanie that's so wonderful to hear and I'm so happy you're having an incredible time but ....
I'm afraid I have some news which isn't going to be to your liking." She sighs and pauses.

"What news? Are you okay?" I blurt feeling suddenly panicked and assuming the worst as always.

"No I'm fine but unfortunately I've had a phone call from work and they need me to go away for a couple of days on a trip. The thing is, I need someone to come and look after the house and dog while I'm away and I thought it would be okay because originally you were going to be home earlier so I assumed you'd be able to be here in time. I didn't want to mess up your plans but.......I need you to come back home a few days earlier..." she eventually says and I feel a pit in my stomach getting heavier and heavier.

I don't know what to say.

"W-When do I need to be home by?" Is all I can say.

"Well ideally I was hoping you'd be home by Wednesday which is when I leave." She mumbles sorrily.

No. No. No. No.

I can't believe it. It's Monday today and takes half the day to travel back which means I need to leave tomorrow. TOMORROW?!

This. Can't. Be. Happening.