One

Adele's POV

Another day I thought, living in this hell hole. I got up out of my bed and looked out my window to see the sunset. What will today bring huh? More beatings from my father because I didn't bring him his breakfast, him trying to find someone so i can marry an old man with a lot of money so he can just steal it back? Me and my dad looked like a happy family with a lot of money, but that wasn't the case. Ever since my mother died its been terrible, my father probably just has so much anger and hatred inside of him so he all just lets it out on me.

I walked downstairs to make breakfast and I see my father passed out in his office, i run over to see if he's alright and i see a whiskey bottle on his desk. He must have gotten drunk again last night. I try to wake him up and he starts yelling and screaming and calling me names. "father please stop!" I try to yell so he can settle down. "YOU WANT ME TO STOP, WELL IF YOU WANT ME TO STOP THE LEAVE! IVE NEVER LIKED YOU ANYWAYS AND WOULDN'T CARE IF YOU LEFT!" He yelled back. Even thoughts was drunk i knew he meant it. "FINE THEN!" I snapped back.

I grabbed my coin purse and left. I didn't know where to go from there. I got weird stares from my neighbors because I usually never go outside without my father. I walked into newsies square and thought about what I should do. I didn't have any friends, i had no relatives except ones up in New Jersey. I decided to go over to a fruit stand and buy an apple, when i got out my little purse there was only one penny inside. I spent the penny because i was very hungry.

I sat on a bench, thinking, and thinking.
"The sun will come out
Tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow
There'll be sun!
Just thinking about
Tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs,
And the sorrow
'Til there's none!
When I'm stuck in a day
That's gray,
And lonely,
I just stick out my chin
And Grin,
And Say,
Oh-"
I was cut off by a newsboy, he asked if I wanted a paper. "I'm so sorry, i would love to have one but i just spent my only penny." I said. "Oh ok." The boy said, he looked a little older then me, but probably only by a year. "What's your name?" I asked him. "crutchie!" He said smiling.

"Hey crutchie lets go somewhere else no one is getting papes." Another one boy said. Probably the same age as crutchie. "And who's is this?" The other boy said. "Uhh my names is...Delilah." I said, I didn't want to use my old name anymore so now i guess it's Delilah. "What you'se not sure?" He said. "Sorry I've been having a rough morning, and who are you?" I asked. "The names Jack, Jack Kelly." He said extending his arm for me so i can shake his hand. "So whys you'se havin a rough day?" Jack asked. "Oh uh well my father kicked me out. Now i have no where to go." I said. "Oh! I have an idea!" Crutchie Said. "What if we's take her to the lodging house and she can be a newsie! Just like us!" He explained. Jack thought for a minute. "So you'se have no where to stay?" Jack asked me. I shook my head no.

"Well, sounds ok to me! So what do ya think?" Jack asked. I had nowhere to go, and these nice boys just offered me to stay with them and become a newsie. "I think its a great idea!" I said taking a risk. "Great! You can follow us around for the rest of the day and see how things go." Jack said, I thanked them both and we went off.

Woo first chapter! Tell me what you think in the comments!