Twelve

Its been a week since the kiss, me and Race talked a little, but not like we used to, hopefully everything is ok between us. Today I couldn't worry about that because it is me and jacks birthday. 17, the year I'm hoping goes well, i have a loving group of people, enough money to live, I'm happy, and i have a boyfriend? I was confused about the whole boyfriend thing because Race really didn't ask me to be his girlfriend.

I woke up and to my surprise everyone was already gone, except, you guessed it race. "Hey." He said getting down from his bunk. "Did everyone already leave?" I asked. "Um yeah?" He said confused, i guess that was a stupid question to ask. I went and got ready, I couldn't get the rubber band around my hair. My hair was long and annoying. I really wanted to cut it but I didn't know how to cut hair. I gave up and stormed out of the bathroom. "What's wrong?" He asked walking up to me. "My hair." I said, then an idea popped into my head.

"Do you know how to cut hair?" I asked Race. "Um no?" He asked with a confused look on his face. "Uh ok, well um." I said trying to come up with a way. "OH! I have an idea!" I said. I ran to go get the scissors and two rubber bands. Ella told me about this trick, you put your hair into pigtails to how short you want it then cut above the rubber band. I put my hair into two pigtails just above my shoulders. Race ran into the bathroom to see what was happening. "Do ya think this is a good idea?" He asked. "Yeah, it will grow back eventually." I said, i cut one pigtail then the other. "What do ya think?" I asked Race. "I-i think you um look gorgeous." He said stumbling on his words as i blushed, he was blushing too.

"Oh my god!" Race yelled. "What?!" I asked. "I forgot to tell ya happy birthday!" He said smiling. "Thanks Race." I said smiling, i kissed his cheek and ran to the paper stand. "Um, Liliah ise think you're missin your hair." Jack said. "Oh, no i cut it." I said smiling. "Was not my idea." Race said trying not to get his ass kicked my jack. "it looks good." Crutchie said. Jack nodded and i went over to the paper stand and got 50 papes. "Hey, Liliah. Happy birthday." Jack said. "Happy birthday to you too." I said then jack hugged me which he really isn't that type of guy but alright.

Everyone went to their selling spots, i sold 30 papes and I'm not even done. "Liliah! Happy birthday!" Ella said coming up behind me. "Thank you!" I said hugging her. "Your hair! It looks great!" She said. "Thanks again." I said. "Oh! I got you somethin!" She said. "Oh no, you didn't have to get me anything." I said. I've never really liked gifts because I always feel bad that someone spent money on me for no reason.

"Of course i did, its your 17th birthday." She said pulling out a box. I opened the box and there was a bracelet.

 I opened the box and there was a bracelet

"Oh my god! Ella i love it!" I said. "And i have one too, so we can be matching." She said i went over and hugged her. "Thank you so so much." I said. "Here i know its not much but, here's a paper. I know your mom loves them" i said handing her a paper. "Aw thanks." She said as she smiled. "Well I'm sorry, I have to go, but i will see you tomorrow. Hope your birthday is amazing! Also say hi to me for crutchie." She said running off.

I eventually sold all of my papes so i went back to the lodging house. "Surprise!" Everyone yelled when i walked in. "What?" I asked confused. "We threw you and jack a surprise party!" Elmer said. "Oh, well thank you guys!" I said. "Here, we all pitched in and got you and jack a cake!" Albert said. "Guys you didn't have to do that." I said walking over to jack. "Sure they did, its our birthday." Jack said jokingly. "Ok, ok, come on blow out the candles!" Crutchie said. We walked over and blew out the lit matches and everyone cheered. I've never had a birthday party or even celebrated my birthday after jack left. I started to tear up. "Hey what's wrong?" Jack asked. "I've just never celebrated my birthday after you left, dad has never said happy birthday to me." I said. "Oh, I'm so sorry Liliah." He said hugging me.

"Hey, lets not get all sad because of me, its our birthday!" I said. Everyone got a little bit of cake because it wasn't a big cake, I wasn't compiling though I wouldn't want it any other way.

I was talking to Albert and JoJo when i saw race motion to me to come up to the roof. I went over to race and we went up to the roof. "Hey." I said as he was smiling. "Hey." He said now we where both smiling. "So why did you bring me up here?" I asked. "Well um, so me Albert and JoJo chipped in ta get ya this." Race said pulling out a small box. "Race, you didn't have-" i was saying until he cut me off. "Yes, i did." I opened the box and it was a ring.

"Race i-i dont know what ta say" i said

"Race i-i dont know what ta say" i said. "You don't have ta say nothin, look, i love you Delilah Kelly. You mean the absolute world to me, you deserve so much happiness. So Adele Sullivan, Delilah Kelly whoever! I will always love you. So Liliah will you be my goil?" He asked. "Yes, yes of course!" I said. He picked me up and spun me around. Once he set me down he grabbed my face gently and kissed me. It was long but sweet. I wish we could be in this moment forever.