Thirty-One: Break-ups and hook-ups

Nicole’s POV

“Are you guys ready?” Gabe asked. We waited in the wings while Panic! Performed on stage in front of us. Helena and the other techie’s watched us with excitement in their eyes. Whenever we were there, everyone knew some sort of havoc was about to be wreaked.

“Oh, no. Not tonight, you guys. Brendon’s not feeling too well,” Helena begged.

“Perfect.”

I held the pipe in my hands, smacking it against my hands in a menacing gesture. Finally, Ryan caught sight of us - what appeared to be a group waiting to attack them. Black ski masks, black shirts and pants, and a bat or pipe in our hands. Ryland had a leather jacket on, with the military camo paint covering his face, and I also had on an Indian headdress - only because I could. I let out a war cry and headed straight for the lead singer.

The crowd went wild. I jumped on Brendon’s back, making him collapse immediately. Ryland and Pete held his arms, while Gabe tied his legs together. I began stripping him of all his clothing. Jon and Spencer began a little ‘mood-setting’ music for us. The more I took off, the harder my heart beat in my chest. This was weird. Why was I getting nervous at the sight of this kid’s nearly naked body? Super weird.

The girls in the first rows went wild as the clothes came off; I threw the sweaty outfit to them. They went mad, nearly killing each other over it. I swear a girl threw a punch at a guy standing behind her, too. Geesh.

Once Brendon was in his boxers, I kissed his cheek, snapped a few pictures, and ran back off stage. But not before shouting, “VIVA LA COBRA!!!” and slamming his shoes on the ground like a football.

Helena’s POV

“Okay, sorry! I’m-I’m done!” I laughed. Brendon continued to glare at me as Jon and I continued to laugh - again.

“You have to admit it was funny,” Ryan said, putting an arm around his shoulders.

“It wasn’t that funny,” he mumbled.

“Yes it was!” Spencer wiped away a tear.

“You were laughing on the stage!” Jon said.

“Yeah, but that was then. Now I’m embarrassed,” Brendon said.

“So? You know it was funny!” I repeated. He shrugged. “Come on, Bren! Laugh for me! Just once?”

“It wasn’t funny!”

“Nicole in a bikini waiting on a bed to make out with you,” Ryan said quickly.

A smile cracked on his face.

“There it is!”

“No! No! No! I don’t like her! No! Ew!” he shouted.

“Yes you do. It’s just a cute crush,” I shrugged.

“NO!!!” he slammed the door on us and wouldn’t even let me, his (current) best friend in.

“Helena, your phones ringing!” Jon called from across the hall.

“So? I’ll call Gerard later,” I replied before returning to coax Brendon out of the room with Ryan’s help.

“It’s Ray.”

I looked at Ryan, who nodded for me to go. I sighed and walked to the front of the bus to answer my dad’s call.

“Hi, sweetie! How’s it going?” was his greeting.

“Um, pretty good, I’d say. You?”

“Great! I’m engaged!”

“Goo- oh. What?” Can you say caught off guard?