Chapter 1

I was on the small stage singing and playing guitar in front of maybe a hundred people when I first saw him. He was tall, skinny, had long blonde hair, a beard and the cutest smile I'd ever seen and he was smiling at me.

I continued to play and every time I looked over he was looking right at me and it gave me shivers. The next time I looked over though he was on his phone. As he saw me looking he smiled and then held his phone out towards the stage for a little while before putting back to his ear and carrying on with his conversation.

When I finished my small set I took my guitar over to the side of the stage and was shutting it in it's case when I heard a voice beside me.
"Hi. You were fantastic up there."

"Thanks." I replied as I looked up and my eyes met his, the tall blonde from the crowd. He had gorgeous eyes to go with that cute smile and it took my breath away. All of a sudden I had no words, I couldn't think of a single thing to say.

"My name is Taylor." he said.

"Oh er hi Taylor my name is Emily." I managed to say.

He smiled again. "Listen, I play in a band and we're looking for a backing singer and I thought you were great so I called my mate and let him have a listen. He'd like you to audition. Well if you'd like to that is. We're a rock band, if that makes any difference."
For a moment there was silence. I was shocked. I couldn't speak. He looked a little nervous all of a sudden.
"Look it's OK, it was just an idea I thought maybe you'd fancy it but it's fine." He muttered as he started to turn away.

"No I'd love to audition." I blurted out. I couldn't let him leave just like that and who knew maybe his band were good and I'd have fun singing with them.

His face lit up as he smiled. "Great. Look do you fancy a drink and we can sort something out."

"When?"

"Now, if you're free."

I couldn't believe what was happening. This gorgeous man was asking me to have a drink with him. I knew it was only because his band needed a backing singer but it still felt good. "Yeah OK. That'd be great." I told him.

I picked up my guitar and followed him over to the bar. We placed our order and then he led me to a table in the corner where we could sit and talk.

"So you were really good up there. Where did you learn to play like that?" he asked.

"My dad taught me." I told him "What about you? Do you play the guitar?"

"I can play a little but drums are my thing."

"Oh right, you're the drummer in the band."

"Yeah. Dave's the front man, he writes all the songs and plays guitar. Although he started life as a drummer too."

"Wow you sound like a talented bunch. Who else is in the band?"

"Well, there's Chris and Pat, who also play guitar. Nate plays bass and Rami plays keyboards."

As we talked I couldn't take my eyes off him. When he smiled his whole face lit up and his eyes sparkled. My mind wandered as I looked into his eyes, I could drift away in them. Suddenly I felt a hand touch mine.
"Hey you?!" he said with a puzzled grin on his face. His touch gave me butterflies and as I sat I felt his thumb stroke the back of my hand.

"God I'm sorry" I looked down.

He laughed a little. "It's fine. I was just trying to arrange a time for your audition that's all."

I blushed. I couldn't believe I'd made such a fool of myself. Like this man could possibly be interested in me. It was all about the backing singing and I needed to remember that but when I looked back up at him and he smiled my heart melted. This was hopeless, I really was a lost cause around this guy.

We arranged that I would meet his friend Dave the next day at a studio they used. He gave me the address and then said he was sorry but he really had to go. We stood and for a moment our eyes met again. He just stood and starred for what felt like forever before he stepped over and gave me a hug. I couldn't breathe. To feel his arms around me was amazing, it felt so good. But it was over all too quickly.

"Well until tomorrow then Emily." he smiled.

"Tomorrow." I repeated.

"Goodbye."

"Goodbye Taylor."

I stood frozen to the spot as I watched him walk away.

***

The next day I found myself stood outside the address he'd given me. The studio looked nothing like I'd imagined. I'd expected a small, scruffy studio but this place looked huge. For a moment I stood staring at the door not really sure if I wanted to go in. Eventually I took a deep breath and rang the bell.

A few moments later the door opened and the man from yesterday stood smiling at me. "Emily" he said as I stepped inside. "It's good to see you again." he continued as he closed the door behind me. Then he turned and gave me a hug before leading me down a corridor. The walls were lined with photos of famous bands. This place was amazing. What on earth was I doing in a place like this.

He led me into a room where a man with dark hair and a beard stood in amongst instruments. "Dave I'd like you to meet Emily the girl I told you about." Taylor said as he placed his arm round my shoulders.

"It's really nice to meet you." Dave said as he turned to face us and held out his hand towards me.

"You too" I said as I shook his hand.

"Taylor tells me you have an amazing voice so can you sing something for me?"

All of a sudden I was really nervous. I hadn't even thought about what I was going to sing. "What would you like to hear?" I asked flustered.

"Anything you like."

I was trying to think of what to sing when I felt Taylor's hand squeeze the top of my arm. "Why don't you sing something from yesterday? Dave will let you borrow a guitar, won't you?"

"Of course. Help yourself."

I took a deep breath, and swallowed hard. I picked up an acoustic guitar and sat down on a stool. I decided on a song and started to play. The room was silent, I wasn't used to it being this quiet when I sang. When I finished I looked up and Taylor was grinning at me. Then I looked towards Dave. "That was really good. I like your voice."

"See I said she was good." Taylor told him, he sounded like an enthusiastic child and I couldn't help but grin at him.

"So how about we have a go at some of our songs and you can try out some of the harmonies?" Dave said

"Yeah OK." I replied. I was starting to feel a little more relaxed now. Dave picked up a guitar and Taylor sat behind the drums. Dave talked me through the song and taught me the harmonies before we had a go at the song from the top. Dave was good on the guitar and he had a great voice but Taylor was just fantastic on the drums. I could have watched him play all day.

After a few more songs Dave put down his guitar. "Well I think you'd be a great asset to the band. What do you think? Fancy giving it a go with the Foo Fighters?"

I smiled. "I'd love to."

"Great" he continued "So how about we say same time and place tomorrow, you can meet the rest of the band and we can take it from there?"

"I'd like that." I told him.

"Well it's been nice meeting you Emily." He said

"You too." I told him.

"I'll show you out then." Taylor said as he walked over to us.

"Thank you." I told him.

As we walked back down the corridor I felt his fingers brush against mine and the butterflies inside took flight. I was sure it must have been an accident. When we got to the door he turned to face me and his eyes locked onto mine. For a moment we stood there in silence, then he took a deep breath before saying "See you tomorrow then." and turning to open the door.

I cleared me throat, trying to get my emotions under control. "Bye Taylor" I replied as I dropped my head and stepped outside. I heard the door close behind me. I stood on the pavement in a state of shock. Had I really just auditioned for a band?