VII

Hayley took over the shop in barely a week. She threw out the old chairs and put in new ones. She planned to paint the walls in a pastel green and she overall had a bunch of ideas.

Joe wasn't too pleased with all the change, but he was smart enough to keep his opinions to himself. Without Hayley, we could've ended up jobless on the street.

Today was Wednesday, but Hayley told us to take a day off. She didn't tell us why, but I heard her having a phone call with painters. I have this stupid habit to eavesdrop phone conversations. I know it's bad, but I can't help it sorry.

Now I'm just kinda sitting here and I honestly have no idea what to do. It's a Wednesday, what do casual people do on Wednesdays? Do Wednesdays even have a purpose?

Sorry, I'm overthinking a lot.

I called Joe, but he said he's on a date again. He never tells me who he's with and although I'm really fucking curious about it, I never ask. It's none of my business.

I was somehow high enough to text Patrick.

How u doing?

I sound stupid and annoying when I text people and I can't help it. I was pretty close to delete it again, but I decided against it. Try to understand me.

He didn't answer and after another 30 minutes lying on my bed and starring at the wall, I got up and grabbed my jacket and keys.

It was gray and gloomy outside and the snow from yesterday was scrunching under my feet. I didn't look where I was going, so it was surprising that I didn't bump into anyone. I was humming a song whose title I forgot.

For reasons unknown, I looked up at a certain moment and I noticed a little bar on the other side of the street.

Mmh why not.

"What can I get you, my friend?" The waitress was pretty nice and she looked like she jumped out of a punk band. She also didn't seem to fake her smiles. She had an actual decent attitude.

"A water." I ordered blandly.

"You okay, dude?" she asked, and it seemed like she meant it.

"Yes, I just try to avoid alcohol for specific reasons."

Most people I know laugh at this response. But the waitress nodded like she totally understood. She didn't make fun of me or anything, but rather patted my back and said :"Just a minute" and then she walked away.

I checked my phone to see if Patrick responded, but he didn't even see it. I'm not worried. Not at all. He shouldn't have any impact on my wellbeing. He really shouldn't.

The waitress placed the glass of water in front of me. Her name's Lindsey, her name tag says that. So I'm gonna call her that now.
"They'll answer eventually." she said, smiling. Perhaps she noticed the stressed expression on my face.

"I hope so." I responded, trying to sound normal. I expected her to ask further questions like if they are my girlfriend or something. Because people normally ask those kind of things. But she didn't ask. She just smiled until something else caught her attention. I don't know why I had assigned her all these hypothetical negative traits for no reason.

She walked over to a lonely table in the corner. Someone was sitting there with his back to the room, their upper body slumped over the table as if they were sleeping.
It was a man and he was indeed sleeping. Lindsey softly shook him awake. The first thing that caught my eye was the bright red hair.

Gerard woke up and seemed confused about his own whereabouts. Lindsey whispered something in his ear. He stared at her, like he didn't understand. She whispered something again, probably the same thing.
It took me some time to realise that Gerard was drunk or had been drinking the night before and now most likely had a terrible hangover.
It turned out it was the second option. He somehow brought up enough strength to take a seat next to me.