XIII

Some people say you see a light when you die. A bright light that leads you to heaven, if you're going there at all. They didn't say that light would give me fucking headaches.

But there's no way I was going to heaven, so that's the first thing that seemed odd.
The other thing was me hearing voices. I don't know why, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't hear voices in heaven. Except maybe angel voices, but all I heard was monotone, bland speaking.

If this is actually afterlife, then what did I die from?

It feels like I was caught in some kind of middle. Purgatory? Most likely, because the light wouldn't hurt my eyes like this if I'd be in heaven.
I tried to lift myself up with my arm, but my elbow slipped like the weight of my body was too much for it. I heard a cracking noise and almost fell off the couch, face first. Wait, couch??

It took all of my energy to lift up my upper body and crawl backwards on the couch. Long story short, I looked like a confused lizard on drugs.

I heard someone chuckling next to me. Yep, it's confirmed. I must look high on crack.
I noticed a TV on the wall right in front of the couch's end. It was on and the monotone voice I heard was the voice of the newsreader.
But this wasn't my house and it wasn't my TV.

"Good morning!" a voice outside of the TV said. It was directed towards me and it sounded like it was making fun of me too. I turned around to see where it came from and saw Micheal standing in the middle of the room. I must have stared at him in a really perplexed way because he started laughing again. He looked like he'd been up for quite a long time although his light blonde almost yellowish hair was really messy. A grey shirt was hanging loosely on his upper body and he was wearing shorts. He looked the same like he did that one morning after that one night when he had promised me everything. I remember what his skin felt like, how his hair had brushed against my face. The memories glued my palms to the ground.

"I'm not gonna ask what the hell you two did at the pool last night." he said with a facial expression I really didn't like.
"I'm just gonna tell you that it wasn't the best idea to fall asleep outside in a December night."

"Just don't get the wrong idea." I replied and my voice sounded croaky. Mikey smiled apologetically.
"Looks like you're about to catch a cold, my good friend ."

Oh man, having a cold would mean staying inside for a couple of days without going to work to distract yourself......

Wait.

I almost jumped off the couch.
"What time is it?!" I asked, my eyes widened with horror, but I already lost all of my faith before Micheal even had the time to respond.

"That doesn't matter right now. I called and told them you couldn't come."

That completely ruined me. My thoughts were jumbling inside my head and I started protesting heavily. I couldn't believe he had the audacity to just insert himself more into my life.
"B-but...I need the money! And there's no way I'm staying at home. Who even gave you permission to..."

"...You aren't going to work." Micheal insisted, completely unimpressed by my behaviour. "You're going to drive home and you're going to stay there. Your boss didn't seem to have a problem with you staying at home. In fact, she was actually really concerned and asked if you're okay."

The shop wouldn't stay for long if Hayley continued being so nice and understanding. She should be demanding me to come, threatening to throw me out if I didn't arrive at work in under 5 minutes. But no, it was just Hayley. She just had to be everyone's friend.

"Where's Gerard?" I asked. The only reason that I drove here at the middle of the night was to rescue him and I would highly appreciate if it didn't turn out to be a waste of gasoline.