XI

"Milk is getting more and more expensive." Joe read out loud while I was working in the kitchen. He was reading the newspaper again, sitting on the same old wooden chair with one leg swung over the other. I finished two cups of coffee and marched out of the kitchen. "Don't waste the milk." I heard Joe calling from behind me. "Only take as much as necessary! Those prices are unaccteptable."

"Here's your order, sir." I tried to smile and the customer took his cup and payed. I didn't care where he went.

The shop filled with more and more people with every minute , so around 12 pm the shop was packed with people and my usual break at 12:15 got cancelled and scratched of the list. Joe and I were working our butts off and even Hayley had to help. For some reason, she managed to keep up a friendly attitude the entire time.

"What would it be, mam?
-A coffee au lait, coming right up!
-Have a nice day!
-Oh, nice to see you I haven't seen you in ages!
-How's your husband?
-Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, but listen I have to go back to work, so call me this evening, ok?
-I'm sorry sir, but we can't take refunds when you drank the coffee anyway
-Sure, have a nice day!"

her mouth didn't stop moving the entire time and the costumers loved her for her open personality. The shop seemed to get more and more popular.

"Pete's crush at 12 o' clock!" Hayley called into the kitchen. My head heated up and I turned away to face the coffee machine. "I'm busy!" I said.

Suddenly Hayley appeared right next to me. God knows, how fast she could've walked over here.
"No No, I'm taking care of that. You're taking his order...what was his name again?" she smiled innocently. I glared at her. "I respect you Hayley, but none of this is your business."

"Now it is. Now go!"

I don't get why I can never defend myself. But maybe the memory of Patrick saying See you on Monday was what actually motivated me to leave the kitchen and head straight to the counter.

Where he was already waiting, his fingers impatiently tapping on the counter. He smiled lightly when he saw me. "Hey." he greeted.

"What can I get you?" I asked, smiling wider than it should be possible or allowed.

"Just a coffee. And please make it quick, I'm kinda late." he ordered, taking a quick glance at his watch.

"Joe? A coffee! And make it quick." I called at the kitchen. "I'm busy." Joe called back, but he changed his mind after Hayley glared at him.

"Why did you come around such a busy time when you're in a hurry?" I asked Patrick.

"I just wanted to see you. Like I promised." he started blushing when he realised how that sounded. He put some money on the counter. "Now take your dirty cash, dumbass." he muttered under his breath and I smiled because I made him all flustered again.

Joe handed me the paper cup and I gave it to Patrick.

"Here you go." I said, maybe a bit too flirty and Patrick gave me a look with his beautiful starry night eyes that I will never forget.