Nick and Bobby

Nick and Bobby...

two street urchins that frequent my doorstep. They aren't bad kids, but every now and then they get into a little trouble in the neighborhood. Luckily, tonight's shenanigans found them outside the office at the precise moment the Tailor grabbed me.

"You alright Mac?" Nick said as he ran towards me. I don't know why he calls me Mac.

"I'm better since you boys showed up." I coughed.

Bobby was sitting on the edge of the doc. He was soaking wet. Tied to his belt loops were two flour sacs, filled with what seemed like bricks. His hand still clutched a thick rope. One end of the rope was tied to the chain around my waist. The other end was tied to the back bumper of Mr. Ackerman's bread truck.

"How did you two, wait, where's Mr. Ackerman?"

"Well. when the big guy grabbed you, see, we didn't exactly have time to ask..." Nick stammered as he picked the lock at my ankles.

"You stole the bread truck?!"

"Hey, you would still be blowing bubbles at the bottom of the river if it weren't for our quick thinking." Bobby said. "Besides, we'll take it back after we catch up with the big guy."

"What do you mean catch up?" I said as I kicked off the last of the chains. "You know where he's headed?"

"Yeah, he dropped this paper, see, got an address on it." Nick handed me a wrinkled scrap of paper

"Good job boys. I owe you one!" I shouted, as I raced towards the bread truck.

"We'll hold you to it Mac!"