He has to Die

"He has to die."

     I watched her say the words, but I couldn't believe I was hearing them. 

     "Rose, I can't let you do this. It's against the law." 

     "Look around you detective! Law's are being broken everywhere!" 

     "But not by us. Not by good people. This man has broken the law, and he will pay for his crimes. I'll make sure of it." I don't know who I was trying to convince more, her, or myself.

     "You can't be sure of it. He has connections, people everywhere. There is only one way to be sure of it." She gestured to the gun in her hand, the gun she still pointed at my face. "Then I'll be sure of it."

     "You're talking about murder."

     "I'm talking about justice. Justice and security. We could guarantee he could never hurt anyone ever again." Her eyes were hard.

     "There is no we here. Understand? If you do this, you do this alone. I will have to arrest you." I tried to speak calmly, clearly. I had to help her see reason. 

     "So that's how it is? You are going to protect a man who just tried to kill you?" 

     "The law protects everyone. It's my job to make sure of that. The day a man starts choosing who to protect, he's no longer a cop. He's playing God."

     "You heard him doll. Listen to the cop. He's a protector!" the Suit sneered.

     "Shut your trap, Carson. You're still going to jail." I said.

     "Oh , yes sir, Mr. Detective." he mocked. Carson, the Suit, was still on his knees. Moments ago, while the girl had the pistol in his mouth, he had been pale as a sheet. Now, it seemed he had regained some color. He could see she was unraveling. He decided to pull the strings. "You can take me to the slammer. I could use a vacation."

     "Shut up Carson." 

     "Listen to him. He's mocking you. He's not afraid of prison. The only thing he will fear is this!" Rose turned the gun back to the Suit.

     "Rose. Drop it." I shouted.

     "Or what?" she spat. She inched the gun closer to Carson's face. "You'll arrest me? Kind of hard to do when you don't have a gun." She pressed the gun to the middle of the man's forehead.  "The way I see it, I'm calling the shots. So decide if you are with me, or against me. But, one way or another detective, he dies tonight..."

"He has to die."