Rose

Rose...

     Rose Jones stood in the middle of the warehouse, a storm of emotion on her face.

     "See detective? See the kind of man he is? He's a monster. You heard him. I can't escape. Disappearing wouldn't be enough. He'll go after my sister!"

     Slowly, I got to my feet. As I stood, I couldn't help but stare at the girl's finger. She tightened her grip on the trigger, like a snake squeezing the life out of its' prey.

     "It's okay. Breathe." I whispered, moving cautiously towards her. "You're safe now. You're safe. You got him."

     "I'm not safe." She shook her head slightly. "You're not safe. Nobody is safe from him. He just tried to kill you. He'll kill my sister. Sooner or later he'll kill me."

    "No, no. The police will come, they will arrest him. You can testify, he'll go away forever."

    "They never stay away. You're a cop for goodness' sake! You know that! He's probably one bribe away from being out already." 

     I couldn't argue with her. The Suit, what did she call him? Carson. Mr. Carson probably had friends in some high places. Who knows who he had in his pockets.

     "There's only one way for us to be safe." she said. Her finger tightened on the trigger.

     "Rose, stop." it was a request, a plea. "This isn't you. You aren't a killer." I moved closer, and reached for the gun. 

     "You don't get it!" she yelled, wheeling towards me with the gun now pointed at my head. "If he lives, we don't."

     As I looked into those blue-green eyes I realized that the girl in need of help, the girl who came to my door with those trembling red lips, wasn't there anymore. The woman who stood before me now wasn't asking anyone for help. She wasn't waiting to be rescued. Rose Jones was determined to save herself. Heaven help the fool who stood in her way. 

     Heaven help me. 

Heaven help Rose...