Chapter 5

"This is absolute bullshit." Mike throws his glass beer bottle to the ground. Foaming alcohol spills across the concrete of the green room backstage. His attempt to assert himself as the alpha male fails, the evidence of which is shown in his inability to break the bottle.

Harry slightly shows his teeth behind his reddened lips. He thinks of nothing more than his upcoming performance. Mike's temper tantrum is a mood Harry's already very familiar with, especially considering he's the fourth drummer they've been through in a year.

Goldie, feeling awkward and out of place, dives to her knees and quietly tries to mop up the beer with paper towels. All the while Mike watches, smirking at the journalist's feeble attempt to clean his mess.

"Get up, love. That's not your job. I'll handle this." Harry picks her up off the floor and moves her behind him as he steps closer to his delinquent bandmate. He puffs his chest out, broad, confident and ready to win the war. "What have you written, Mikey boy? You're nothing but a drummer for hire. You like to think that if your name was on the marquee that people would come, don't you? No one knows who you are though."

"I've toured with Crosby, Stills & Nash. Mott the Hoople." Mike grabs another beer from the cooler, completely unaware of what he's up against, and sits on a fold-out chair at the side of the room.

"For what? One show? You were nothing more than a figure in the shadows at the back of the stage. A backup." Harry crouches in front of Mike, the neck of his beer between his index and middle fingers, and takes an arrogant sip. "He's out after this show, Grimmy. And I know because of his contract he has to play. We'll find another on the road." Harry orders, maintaining eye contact with Mike a few seconds before he stands to look at their manager. Mike falls silent in response and gulps down his beer, bringing a smirk to Harry's face.

She watches as Harry walks back toward the rest of the band. They all try and ignore the events that just took place. Harry, Grimshaw, Mitch, Jonesy and Matt all grew up together. Their missing piece had always been the drummer. Their history and deep-rooted friendship always gave them the gift of looking past Harry's cocky behavior. They knew the real him and how deep down he was an artist, looking to accomplish nothing but success for himself and his best friends. Every selection they made for a replacement drummer never quite fit. Mike lay as testimony to that known fact.

"Are you ready, boys?" Harry stretches his long arms, bringing in Grimshaw, Mitch, Jonesy and Matt for their pre-show ritual. A quick acapella version of the intro to "Paperback Writer" by The Beatles. "Paperback writer!" His smooth voice slowly moves across the ears of everyone in the room like fog on a winter morning. The concert hasn't even begun and Goldie's already entranced by his innate musical talents.

Each member follows suit, chiming in with perfect harmony and melody to complement Harry's bass. Missing her dad and Andrew, her face can't help but shed a smile. The boys fill the small space with a sense of family and comfort. A sense she misses dearly, yet already feels apart of among this group of strangers. Harry looks at her deeply. It's like he can practically see her soul intertwine with his and his best mates' amid the song that holds such a deep history to the original members of The Orphans.