Chapter 28

The rough feeling of the pink sequins of her dress stand on end as she rubs her hands against her lap. It was a cheap garment, picked up from a local New York City thrift store down the street from their hotel. She didn't feel comfortable going to the hottest club in town, Studio 54, in any of the clothes she brought with her. The floral embellishments make her feel dainty and sweet. The fit makes her feel elegant and sexy.

Her mom's bell bottoms and fitted tops were her cocoon. This dress is colorful wings, spread proudly with courage and independence.

She smooths the frizzed, stray hair against her scalp, melding the golden strands into her tight, high bun. Dipping her ring finger into her cherry lip balm, she spreads the sweet-tasting gel across her soft lips, her heart saddening at the thought of not sharing the flavor with the boy from her dreams and reality.

"Knock, knock," a familiar voice rings at the bathroom. Niall steps in. With her current issues with Harry, she decided to get ready in Matt, Jonesy and Niall's room. "We're gonna get going soon. Are you almost done?"

She and Harry are still bunking together in the hotel but showering, naked, with him on the other side of the wall proved to be a much more difficult task than she anticipated. She instead made up an excuse to visit her neighbors and gussied up there. Harry said everything she thought she wanted him to say, but his words put her at war with herself. What would she say back? What would Jimmy do?

"Why aren't you talking to me? Please. I'm begging you. Say SOMETHING. Anything." Harry watches as Goldie stoically unpacks her suitcase. The skin on his chest throbs in response to his breaking heart beneath the surface.

"What do you want me to say? We have to get ready. Let's just talk tonight, okay? After Studio 54." She rubs her makeup-less eyes, exhausted from the trip and the ongoing awkwardness between her and Harry.

"Fuck, Studio 54! I don't need to go. All I want is for you to talk to me. For you to let me know what's going through your head. I can't take this anymore, Golds?"

"I promise you, when we get back from the club we can talk. This night is going to be a great moment for you and the guys. You're going to rub elbows with some of the biggest people in the industry. Don't let this distract you, please. You can't turn this down." She walks over to him, the tips of their toes mere centimeters apart. "You take the bathroom and get ready. I'm gonna go to one of the other rooms and shower. I'll see you in a bit."

"I miss you is all, Belle..." His voice says quietly as the door slams behind her.

Her heart beats in syndication with her rapid footsteps down the hallway. Her trembling knuckles bang on the hotel room door of Niall, Matt and Jonesy's shared room. Music blares on the other side. Jonesy swings the door open and even though there are more people in this room, the light energy makes it feel more open.