Chapter 13

"What the hell is this?" Harry stands in front of the dilapidated bar, his arms stretched out to either side of his body in confusion. The neon side reading THE WRANGLER flickers from the poor connection to main-society electricity. "This is our next venue?"

Grimmy pulls a spiral-bound notepad from his back pocket and flips through his scribbled handwriting. "They said it was supposed to be 'lively.' 'Seats hundreds.' 'Best spot in Kansas.'"

"KANSAS?" Harry frustratingly kicks the tour bus' tire with the tip of his boot. "The hell, Grimmy? We're in the middle of fucking nowhere."

"The sky is beautiful, at least," Goldie notes, looking up. "Have you ever seen so many stars?"

Harry links his index finger in the belt loop of Goldie's high-waisted jeans and pulls her toward him. "Whose side are you on?" He grins down at her naive face.

"Here we go again," Matt comments with an exaggerated eye roll. The reaction of the bandmate causes Goldie to push Harry's hand away and take two steps away from her suitor.

"It's not that bad," Grimmy leans up against a wooden post at the front of the building. It immediately falls over and crumbles to bits from dry rot. He makes a concerned face. "No big deal. That can be fixed." He fails to stand the pieces back up like a broken set of Jenga.

"I heard Kansas is known for their baked beans." Niall walks out of the bus, dazed and holding a snare piece from his drum kit, and joins the rest of the group. "You think they got any here?"

"I think we're lucky if they got clean water, mate." Matt grabs the drum off Niall and helps him off the bus.

"Did they even do any promotion? There are no cars out here and we go on in an hour." Mitch comes down the steps, a vintage orange Fender amp in hand, as they unload the bus. He kicks a mound of dirt into the open air, disappointed by the turnout.

"This is just a pit spot before the Houston Rock N' Roll Festival next week. Let's not worry about it too much, guys." Grimshaw puts his hand on Mitch's shoulder in consolation. "Let's just keep the weed away from Jonesy tonight, okay? We don't need him going off naked on another spirit journey like he did the other night." He walks toward a bus window. Jonesy's face is pressed against the glass, sleeping. "AY!" He bangs on the window. "GET YOUR KEYS READY!"

"What the fuck, man?" Jonesy's muffled voice says from inside.

"I guess we oughta make the best of it," Harry says, signaling for the band to enter. "Shall we?"

"We shall!" Goldie grabs Stinky's and Pig's leashes and walks into the rundown venue with The Orphans at toe.

* * *

"Where you guys at now, honey?" Jimmy's voice asks on the other end of the landline.

"We're in Kansas. The place is a bit old. Not too many people here. But it has character! The Orphans will still be great, I'm sure." Goldie responds. She senses someone behind her but pays them no mind.