Chapter 31

The dry California air hits her face like a freshly-laundered blanket, newly out of the dryer. She fixates on the foamy white and blue of the ocean behind her house. Closing her eyes and taking in every piece of her surroundings, she thinks, "Home, sweet home."

While she's sad the tour has come to an end, the feeling of the hot atmosphere comforts her. Months ago, the open air of Venice Beach was a straight jacket. The very bane of her existence. The restriction she needed to escape. But the tides have changed. She no longer feels caught in the undertow of her small beach town.

"Alright, Golds. We'll see you tomorrow at Midnight Special?" Grimmy stalks down the bus stairs, a melancholy smile on his face. The rest of The Orphans follow closely behind, including Harry, whose face is as stoic as ever. He struggles to even make eye contact with her.

"Yep," she puts her suitcase on the sidewalk outside her house. She notices Harry's distance. "It's been real, boys."

The front door of her childhood home creeks open. Jimmy steps out, a beaming smile under his thick mustache. With his hands in the pockets of his light wash Levi's, he excitedly walks toward his daughter and the men she'd spent so much time with. Her new best friends. Her temporary keepers. He gives each guy a look of gratitude for bringing his biggest blessing back in one piece.

Jimmy wraps his arm around Goldie's shoulders and looks at the group. "Thanks for taking care of my gal. Ready to go, kiddo?" He looks down at his daughter, her 5-year-old face hidden behind her grown eyes.

"It was our pleasure," Mitch responds, leaning forward to shake Jimmy's hand.

"She's a true gem. You raised a great girl." Matt joins in, patting the proud father on the shoulder.

"I don't know what we'd do without her. I wouldn't even be in the band." Niall laughs and gives a bashful wave.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say good night till it be morrow," Jonesy comments. The group looks at him, a look of shock on their faces in response to his ability to eloquently quote Shakespeare. "Goldie is a lovely human."

The boys look at Harry. The last one to give his thoughts on Goldie's attendance on tour. He above all else would have something thoughtful to say. He will blow all of their kind thoughts out of the water like a comic book canon. Superman falling to earth and punching into concrete. His words will surely erase their sweet sentiments.

"Yes, thanks for letting her join us." Harry coldly extends his hand to Jimmy and shakes. "You both are invited to the filming and after party tomorrow if you'd like to come."

"Thanks, Harry," Jimmy replies as he slowly shakes Harry's limp hand and pulls away. Jimmy looks at him, brow furrowed, skin red with the kind of anger only a father would feel. He tightens his grip around Harry's before letting go. "I'll talk it over with Michelle and we'll get back to you."