Chapter 19

Jimmy has always been what many would consider a "cool dad," though his one and only child never gave him much to be worried or strict about. He and his wife were quite young when they had their daughter. Both still impressionable with a lot to experience in the world.

They raised Goldie to be her own person. To look at the world as though it was her own personal oyster, with delicate pearlescent strength complicatedly mixed with love, living and lucidity in the very middle.

As he looks into the eyes of his daughter, her five-year-old spirit stares back at him. Big, blue puppy dog eyes asking for forgiveness for the mistakes she's not even sure she made. How can he get mad at a face like hers? How can you not get wrapped up in her sweet energy? Get swept away by the innocent rose in her cheeks and untouched view of the world. Harry, Andrew, and just about every person that's ever come into contact with her had been faced with the same dilemma.

"Let's sit down, sweetie." Jimmy points to a chair across the isolated table at the restaurant. Goldie hesitantly takes her chair and Jimmy continues. "What's going on?"

"What do you mean?" Her eyes burn with uncertainty and humility.

"Tell me what's going on, please."

"I don't know what to say... I've been having so much fun on tour. And then you guys showed up. Not that I'm not happy that you guys are here but Andrew seems so different."

"You don't think he could say the same thing about you?" Jimmy's tone is calm. Understanding. The perfect middle man. This had always been his personality. A hippy through-and-through and a true devil's advocate.

Deep lines form on her forehead. White skin wrinkled with worry and confusion. "I wasn't expecting us to both come out on the other side of this exactly the same but he sure has a funny way of showing he's upset with me. I mean this is my job, dad, and he's almost making a mockery of all of this. You should have heard what he told me back upstairs in the room!"

"I'm sure it wasn't something you wanted to hear. But how do you think Andrew feels right now? Fifteen years you two have spent your birthdays together and you didn't even bother to call him back when he wished you a happy birthday?" Jimmy's mustache twitches with slight disappointment in his daughter, though he tries his hardest to hide that emotion from her. He's proud of her when all is said and done. But he worries that the remnants of what once was his daughter will soon disappear.

"What?" Goldie looks down at her clasped, polite hands. A sign of her reversion back to the quiet, polite person she was before she joined the tour with The Orphans. She cracks her knuckles and shakes her tight joints loose when the memory of what Andrew said to her in the room flashes back before her eyes. "I... I really didn't know he called. I swear. I honestly forgot it was even my birthday until the band threw me a party. Apparently Harry picked up when Andrew called and-"