V

"You're...gay?" Rio spoke slowly, processing what True was saying, her eyes downcast and brows tucked together. They were sitting in the park near his house early in the morning, sipping Starbucks and enjoying the hot July air.

"Yeah. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, I wasn't even really sure." He confessed, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck and staring at his shoes.

"I didn't have anything to do with it, right?" She finally asked, looking up with concern. True chuckled and shook his head, meeting her warm eyes.

"No, of course not. This is all me. I just wish you weren't caught up in my mess." The guilty feeling made his stomach twist uncomfortably, but he tried to ignore it.

"It's Marlowe, isn't it?" True was caught off guard, eyes widening at her completely accurate assumption.

"What's Marlowe?" He evaded, pulling a sip from his coffee. He hoped she didn't notice the way his hand shook.

"You like him. I can't believe I never saw it before," Rio laughed softly, shaking her head as her long hair bounced around her. The three had known each other for a long time- and when they became seniors in high school, True had finally chalked up the nerve to ask Rio out. He'd never quite envisioned it going quite like this though.

"I...yeah, I guess there's no point in hiding anything now." True felt naked, as if he'd shed his skin and was someone completely unrecognizable. But Rio just smiled.

"It's alright, you know. I'm not mad." True relaxed a bit and nodded.

"I never deserved someone as amazing as you anyways." Rio laughed, the sound like a running river, a waterfall. He loved that laugh. It always sounded so genuine, almost as though she'd opened herself up to you every time the sound peeled out from her lips.

"You deserve the whole world, True. All of it and then some."

When True met up with Marlowe later that day, he felt like a different person. For so long he'd hidden this secret close to his chest, tucked it tightly within his rib cage so long that when he breathed, he could never really take a full breath.

Now, his lungs were free and full, he didn't feel as though he was holding his breath, waiting for something to break.

Lowe could tell that True felt better the second he saw his best friend. True's eyes were soft and content, his walk relaxed and peaceful. Marlowe immediately felt better seeing him that way, so much happier and carefree. For years Marlowe had noticed True's reservations, playing it down to just his personality. But now he knew. True had never allowed himself to just be.

"Hey! How'd it go with Rio?" Marlowe asked as soon a True was close enough. True held two frappes and a bag probably filled with pastries. He thought about his unhealthy intake of sugary coffee and sweets fleetingly as he neared Lowe.

"Surprisingly... well. She wasn't mad, or too upset. I guess it's because we're such good friends." Lowe nodded, taking his frappe- caramel- and taking a long sip.

"I'm glad. It's about time you got to be happy."

"I think so too."